New Yorkers plug in giant boombox found in Manhattan, surprise holiday party ensues

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/new-yorkers-plug-in-giant-boom.html

2 Likes

I was pretty sure this was a target ad because of the giant logo in the speakers, then the song started playing and I knew it was. Guess I’m going to be the one saying it: “improv everywhere sold out!”

13 Likes

Haven’t these people ever seen a Batman movie?

Holiday tip: Stay away from giant prop machines in the middle of the downtown core.

18 Likes

Claes Oldenburg called. He’d like his radio back.

5 Likes

I don’t like that it says “please plug in”. At least pretend to see the public as sentient beings when you’re co-opting the public realm.

13 Likes

These guys are getting less and less spontaneous. I wonder how they make money. Giant boomboxes are not “found” in Manhattan, they are constructed. Giant outlets, too. And New Yorkers hardly ever turn handsprings when they hear a song they like.

(Except at the “Fame” school.)

10 Likes

I’m also suspicious of a “quiet and isolated” spot at pier 17.

“Hey, what do you think? Should you guys go down this way?” WINK WINK

“SHHHH! DON’T GIVE THE PRANK AWAY, RANDY!”

12 Likes

I thought the same thing. “Do you want a Joker attack? Because this is how you get a Joker attack.”

18 Likes

Mostly they don’t. This particular stunt was obviously more expensive than most of their prior work, thus the Target sponsorship.

6 Likes

A boombox can change the world.
You gotta know your limits with a boombox.
This was a cautionary tale.
A boombox is not a toy.

6 Likes

This is the kind of things Humans should do instead of making war.

8 Likes

Definitely by being paid a bunch of money by Target to stage multiple dance parties with giant Target-supplied boomboxes.

5 Likes

This felt staged and hokey right from the beginning. The “real” New Yorkers were apparently micced so we could perfectly hear their exclamations of wonder and surprise.

11 Likes

Was it, really? I turned it off immediately because the music was awful and sounded like an Old Navy commercial. Guess I wasn’t far off.

8 Likes

Diabolical, ol’ chum!

12 Likes

New Yorkers plug in giant boombox found in Manhattan, surprise holiday party slickly-choreographed forced merriment ensues

6 Likes

Even at that it is an awesome and wonderful thing and bringing joy to people.

9 Likes

Yeah, to be clear, I have no problem with something as huge and overwhelming and joyful as this being pulled off with the help of corporate ad money! It’s definitely something Improv Everywhere couldn’t have pulled off with volunteer money, though I imagine it was conceived by their sponsors.

That’s “slick choreography”? Um.

7 Likes

Have people forgotten the result of the Trojan Boombox so soon?

12 Likes

Do you want to play “Thermonuclear War?”

Hey, I am not into Heavy Metal, but hey? Why not?

I was a child between the fifties and the seventies, so I was expecting something a bit different, but hey…

2 Likes