New Zealand: we'd expel Russian spies but there don't seem to be any here

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/27/new-zealand-wed-expel-russi.html

4 Likes

Gosh, that’s kinda cute.

8 Likes

What would they be doing, stealing the latest sheep shearing tech?

6 Likes

The host nation doesn’t have to figure out which members of the diplomatic mission are spies, though it’s a nice touch if they do. Deport 'em all, and let Bog sort 'em out.

This seems like a polite way for New Zealand to say, “we don’t want to piss off the West, but we also don’t want to harass the sleeping bear”.

4 Likes

Really? I read it more as, “Hey guys, don’t forget about me! I want in on some of this game, but I don’t really know how to play…”

1 Like

Or trying to get an entry into the Five Eyes community?

2 Likes

New Zealand lies on the borders of Vladivostok . They need to stop encroaching.

1 Like

When were they kicked out of Five Eyes?

Some maps that don’t show New Zealand is actually a clever defence strategy.

Putin: “New Zealand is real? I thought was like Middle Earth or Narnia, make-believe place.”

7 Likes

Wait! I don’t think they are done with their probing…

kiwi

17 Likes

Excellent tradecraft on the Russians part.

1 Like

New Zealand’s national security strategy is to be irreverent in world affairs. Got it.

2 Likes

Security through obscurity.

6 Likes

No Russian spies? They might want to check under some of the larger kiwis.

Or stealing an alpaca. Poor Bambi left all alone.

What is there to know? You go to the Russian embassy (57 Messines Rd, for those who are keeping score at home) and tell some of them they’re kicked out.

New Zealand is an actual country; they know about visas and passports and customs and such. It looks small on a map, but that’s just to make the map portable.

4 Likes

Nope. No spies 'round here.

nospies

5 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Nobody was kicked out of Five Eyes. In the comment you’re responding to, it’s Russia (not New Zealand) that is trying to get entry into Five Eyes. Not to join Five Eyes, but to spy on a member. That was a response to somebody asking if Russia would spy on New Zealand to get the latest sheep-shearing technology.

Alles klar, Herr Kommissar?

Or ‘meh, none of this has anything to do with us.’

1 Like

I’m not sure whether this indicates that NZ is irrelevant, or just incompetent. And I’m not sure which is worse :thinking:

2 Likes