NZ prime minister John Key: We have to spy on you because al-Qaeda has training camps here. Also: FISH!

[Permalink]

1 Like

Does Al Quaeda get the same tax breaks and waiving of the employment laws as LOTR did? Something must have tempted them to relocate. Or maybe they are just fans of the yummy NZ fish, mmm-mmm.

2 Likes

al-Qaeda is not that great of a threat. We canā€™t trust anything these people say. They are politically finished. They have no future in government or society for that matter. They should be shunned.

2 Likes

Ah, ā€œpotential riskā€. The catch-all term used to justify any restriction.

Make driving illegal as thereā€™s a potential risk that a driver will hit someone and kill them.
Make going outside illegal as thereā€™s a potential risk of being struck by lightning.
Make going to the park illegal as thereā€™s a potential risk that a rabid squirrel will bite you.
Make going to the library as thereā€™s a potential risk of paper cuts and subsequent infection.
Make going to school illegal as thereā€™s a potential risk of bullying.
Make taking prescriptions illegal as thereā€™s a potential risk of overdose.

Make having babies illegal as they could grow up to become terrorists.

2 Likes

Are you saying that the chance to be known, in hushed and terrified whispers, as ā€˜The Kiwi Khalifā€™ isnā€™t reason enough?

2 Likes

Itā€™s PeterJacksonā€™s fault - all those Hobbit holes are an obvious attraction to those al-Qaeda folks stuck in the caves of Pakistan.

1 Like

Since he knows the groups and the people involved, he only needs to surveil them, not every citizen of the entire country. Basically, his BS answer convicts him and his argument.

1 Like

What a damn moron.
The sooner NZers vote that monkey and his party out, the better.

1 Like

All I know is: That guy must consume a shitload of colloidal silver.

It gets worse - his platform chosen to reveal to the country that we have Al-Q terrorists? The breakfast show of a pop-music radio station. Like, actually.

ā€œIn New Zealand there are people whoā€™ve been trained for al-Qaeda camps who operate out of New Zealand, who are in contact with people overseas, who have gone off to Yemen and other countries to train.ā€

ā€œIā€™m sorry, but thatā€™s the real world.ā€

Oh, also, in regards to the comment about "donā€™t surveil every citizen just surveil the person of interest - technically thatā€™s what this bill is about - currently the law does not allow the GCSB (NZā€™s organisation that wire-taps and the like) to monitor residents, but they have been anyway - 80 something of them. So rather than punishing them Key decided it would be better to just change the law so they werenā€™t breaking it.

But anyway, I shouldnā€™t be thinking about this - I should be thinking about fishing! Snapper! Iā€™m not interested in what happens to bad people I never do anything wrong so the law doesnā€™t matter to me herp derp #normalnewzealander

1 Like

Oh, and then, and thenā€¦ the PM compares the GCSB toā€¦ Norton Antivirus! Ahhh, so this contentious bill is going to give all New Zealanders a free antivirus program. Awesome, bro.

http://www.3news.co.nz/John-Key-defends-the-GCSB-bill/tabid/817/articleID/309018/Default.aspx

Thatā€™s actually a pretty good comparison though probably not in the way he thinks. Norton Antivirus is a piece of shit program that interferes with other programs, slows down the whole system, annoys you when you want to do other things, is hard to remove when you want to get rid of it, and still doesnā€™t protect you from what it says it does.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.