New Zealanders raise millions to buy beach and donate it to the public

[Read the post]

9 Likes

Now at the heart of the Blue Mountains National Park.

Itā€™s a cathedral of trees.

8 Likes

Good News!

Now how do we build on it? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

all coastline should be national park land. no private development. ports, shipyards etcā€¦on lease.

8 Likes

The attached image of Waiheke Island is half a country away from the quite remote beach in question.

Reality it turns out is far more beautifull than illustration

13 Likes

As a member of the public, I humbly accept.

7 Likes

What a lovely good news story!

Come on world, generate more good feels!!!

6 Likes

Start with a monster resort hotel, then maybe a SeaWorld and a yacht club?

2 Likes

Wow. At least one country in this world is not going to shit. Good on you Kiwis!

5 Likes

Finally some feel-good news indeed.

The report calls it ā€˜remoteā€™ and mentions an airstrip nearby.

But for the rest of us, there are several water-taxis that go past it daily, walking tracks through the National Park nearby (though probably not connected to it without some wading required just yet) and itā€™s on a popular sea-kayak route.

(Photo credit to Daniel Bar-Even, who does some good work in that area)

5 Likes

$2.8m for 800m of beach sounds bloody cheap.

2 Likes

Hey, a New Zealand Dollar is worth a whole 2.7 Ningis.

3 Likes

More good news from NZ. Moving there slowly becomes a serious consideration. Hmm.

I love how seriously the Kiwis take their conservation efforts! I canā€™t tell from the article but was the campaign goal actually a fair price for the beach or did the seller just take all the money, regardless of how high it went? The article didnā€™t say whether there had been any negotiations beforehand.

Anyway, good on them, Iā€™ve been to that national park and itā€™s a lovely place (like most of the country).

1 Like

There are a number of other articles surrounding the story. The short-ish answer is it was a ā€œsilent tenderā€, with discretion on what offer to accept up to the seller.
The price was right, but could easily have been trumped by an investor with deep pockets.

I imagine that the attention that the social campaign whipped up may have caused competing bidders to think twice, and/or the seller to make their own gut choices.
It certainly would have been a bit difficult for whoever managed to out-bid the community consortium ā€¦

2 Likes

Michael Spackman (a businessman embroiled in complex financial shenanigans)

I donā€™t know if ā€œborrowing money to buy property in the hope of making money to repay the loanā€ was especially complex.

In the US, all beaches are public property up to the high-water mark (which IIRC is the highest point water gets during a storm, although it might just be the highest point that the tides ever reach). Is that not the case in NZ?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.