New Zealand's lost colossus: all-mechanical racetrack oddsmaking computer

[Read the post]

3 Likes

In an alternative reality, Pterry Pratchett is alive and well and writing a Discworld novel involving â– â– â– â– â–  von Lipwick and the Julius Totalisator

7 Likes

Notice the slightly bent gear on the left? It’s a backdoor and changes the winning odds, triggered by a specific wager amount.

4 Likes

Electromechanical may be less steampunk, but only slightly so. I was lucky to see one of the last #5-crossbar telephone switches in operation. It filled a large building, and it was loud - thousands of relays clickity clicking.

6 Likes

Should you ever be near Paderborn: Visit the HNF.

They have two generations of telephone switches up and running, it is kind of possible to follow the clicking relais when using the hand sets.

2 Likes

I’m not sure whether it is depressing or heartwarming how many advances in statistics have been driven by hopeless gambling addicts. Either way, it’s quite a few.

3 Likes

Elections / Horse-racing analogies yet again historically supported, to the detriment of horse-racing’s reputation.

2 Likes

“Julius Totaliser” is definitely a perfect Discworld name!

Here’s a short vid on “The Real Glooper” - still on display in NZ.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t Electro-mechanical be part of dieselpunk, rather than steampunk?

1 Like

Hell if I know. I can’t even tell Acid House from Trance.

2 Likes

WARN: THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM

I miss Terry Pratchett… cause he’d totally be doing this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.