Nifty Macbook MiniDrive fits in MacBook's SD slot

[Permalink]

Per video, max capacity currently available on microSD is 64 Gb. The video blurb says 128 Gb which is incorrect according to video.

EDIT: OLD VIDEO, NEW CARDS. Move along.

The video was made before 128GB microSD cards were available. At the time 64GB was the largest capacity you could get.

1 Like

So…this is not really a “drive” per se, but more or less a flush mount microSD card reader.

6 Likes

It’s a shortened version of the usual SD/microSD mechanical adapter, designed so that it won’t protrude from a macbook’s SD reader, which supports full size SD cards; but leaves them hanging out during use(not a huge problem for offloading a card; likely to become an issue if you want to leave the card in more or less permanently without breaking it or the reader).

1 Like

This is the most preposterously overpriced microSD adapter I’ve ever seen.

Remember, there are no electronics within. It just connects contact to contact.

The form factor is neat. But it’s still a rip-off.

10 Likes

Yeah, microSD adapters come free with a lot of cards now. This is a huge ripoff. Apple tax, I suppose.

5 Likes

I tried a product like this in my macbook (running windows 8.1), but it didn’t work very well. apparently there is a very well known (but unsolved) bug where windows “forgets” about the card reader after coming out of sleep or hibernation, the only solution is to reboot. I agree with the other poster… this particular one is pretty expensive for what it is too. (there’s cheaper options out there)

Sandisk makes a similar product. Adorama has it for $50. It comes with a 64GB micro SD card, broadly similar to this one selling for $33. So making some pretty broad assumptions about price stability, there’s at least a $17 premium for the nifty form factor–which is reasonable for something that won’t break off in ones laptop bag.

Given that the minidrive is supplied with a throwaway 4 GB microSD card, they are charging about $16 more than what’s reasonable, even at the discounted price.

2 Likes

I’m now just laughing at the fact that Apple won’t even use a standard card-reader depth.

3 Likes

Amazon has basically the same device for as low as $30, or the one the review says isn’t as good for $20. Or an actual 128GB device for $75. I’m sure this link has nothing to do with the bigger commission StackSocial gives, because party line is that affiliate links don’t alter poster behavior one iota.

http://www.amazon.com/MiniDrive-microSD-Adaptor-MacBook-Retina/dp/B00AL1385C/?tag=mercycorps-20

http://www.amazon.com/HyperDrive-microSD-Adapter-MacBook-Non-Retina/dp/B00PUXW0IC/?tag=mercycorps-20

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-Storage-Expansion-TS128GJDL130/dp/B00K73NT0S/?tag=mercycorps-20

1 Like

Uh, okay… I mean you’re right — how silly is it to design an SD card slot that’s super easy to insert and remove a card without any fussy, breakable lever mechanism? Gosh, Apple sure are stupid.

It gets worse: it seems that the Air, the Retina, and the older Pros all have different slot dimensions/depths.

2 Likes

The one you want is probably the Adafruit version. $6 is still high compared to a normal-size SD adapter, given that those are basically given away with most microSD cards; but you pay a premium for being a special flower in an industry built on volume, and it’s likely to be more pleasant and more reliable than manually modding a full sized one(attempting to get small spring contacts just right by hand isn’t much fun, and having your device dropping off the bus at random times is even less fun).

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if Apple simply didn’t have the board space for a ‘standard’ SD card slot(this might also explain why the depth of their slot varies by model); but the ‘friction fit’ SD slot is very much the downmarket choice. Things like the original rPi used it because their BoM was just that sensitive; but the type that latches on first insertion, then pops out when pressed a little further in are markedly nicer and quite reliable.

2 Likes

This is my sd card reader. It works, and there’s no danger of jams. It replaced a reader that swallowed SD cards whole, and unfortunately never managed to spit the last one out.

And even now 128GB isn’t the largest:

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2015/200gb-sandisk-ultra-microsdxc-uhs-i-card-premium-edition/

I still don’t understand why it went to 200 instead of 256, but there you are. I heard yesterday that 2 terabyte cards are in the works, AND THAT SOME PHONES ALREADY WILL SUPPORT THEM!

The 200GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I card, Premium Edition, features a ten-year limited warranty3 and will be available worldwide in Q2 at an MSRP of $399.99.

Oh. Never Mind then.

My Lenovo Thinkpad has an SD card reader in which a mounted card is entirely flush with the frame. It’s not hard at all.

1 Like

All my Thinkpads (those with card readers) had such ones. My Acer Aspire One netbook also has such kind. It’s not difficult at all. A need for such custom adapter speaks volumes about Apple’s engineering.

I’d suggest a small circuitboard made from a thin copper-clad (they make it down to 0.1 mm), with the bottom side serving as the contacts and the top side carrying that clicky kind of push-to-insert push-to-remove microSD card socket. Then gluing a lasercut mask on the upper side of the board to get the adapter to the right thickness.

I think such a board could be designed with the solder pads for the microSD socket being pretty long, so the user can choose their desired adapter length and then cut the circuitboard to length and solder the socket in place. Then use a Dremel or anything similar to cut the thickness mask and glue it in position.

1 Like