Nixon started the War on Drugs because he couldn't declare war on black people and hippies

Elvis is on the right? OK, good. So, not the left then. That guy on the right is Elvis. Got it.

1 Like

Look we can all agree hippies are horrible, but I totally agree we should legalize everything. Though THIS is a pipe dream:

ideally, he says, by legalizing everything and selling it in state-run dope stores that could adjust prices dynamically to make it too cheap to sustain a black market, but expensive enough to deter overindulgence

Yeah, no, you really can’t do both. At least not with the cheap to make drugs. And expensive enough to deter overindulgence NEVER works. Poor people just won’t eat, or hock their TV, or not feed their kid. So let’s get rid of that idea.

I say legalize it. A seller has to disclose purity, dosing guidelines, and disclaimer about how bad said drug is for you, as well as an addiction help line pamphlet. Then sell away. We all have our vices, the war on drug just makes it more likely you will die doing drugs and/or end up in jail. Does nothing to stop, and little to deter or discourage use.

The pharama companies should be all over it. They would make a mint selling oxicontin to recreation users. They are paying like 10x their cost on the grey market.

5 Likes

Evidently some people cant understand that basic point.

2 Likes

Well, not without context!

Rednecks, Jethros, RWNs, irresponsible gun nuts, Trump supporters, and Fundamentalist religious types are FAR worse and more damaging to society.

But as a civilized adult I realize that it’s inappropriate and wrong to declare war on them, they’re just broken and confused after all. We should be healing them instead.

Honestly, they’re the ones who need weed the most…poor grouchy things.

16 Likes

is this a riddle?

If income inequality is one of the levers to be moved, then hell yes.

So if someone [especially a white guy] ridicules you for saying so, is that really a sign that your off the mark, or maybe that you’re close to hitting it?

2 Likes

Agreed. There should be no laws concerning marijuana. Let everyone grow it in their front yard and treat it like the harmless plant that it is.

3 Likes

Well, time for me to go into hiding. It’s been real, everyone.

(leaves while a sound like the horn of Helm Hammerhand* is heard from the other room)

*actual description used by my wife

9 Likes

That’s hilarious!

And both you and those hippies that are a bit too attached to patchouli are welcome just so you give a bit of warning first :wink:

4 Likes

To be fair, rich addicts board their kids and have therapists, nannies, and fancy lawyers so they don’t look so shabby to you, as well as the capacity to doctor shop and have their insurance pay for their habits - and they still go broke and die just like the poors do - just less often.

Poor people behave just like rich people, just with fewer options.

10 Likes

WMDs in the war on hippies

7 Likes

Well I went in the other room!

2 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa. While I am all for weed for all, I caution about “totally harmless”.

1. There have been studies that it can damage STILL DEVELOPING BRAINS. So no, you don’t want to be giving kids pot brownies for desert.

2. Smoking it is still putting smoke into your lungs, which we don’t have all the data in on how harmful that is. It doesn’t seem as bad as cigarette smoking, and one can smoke it with out long lasting effects if used in moderation, but just like drinking, chronic use may lead to health issues down the line.

That said it should be like home brewing. You can make it/grow it yourself, but if you want to sell it you need to be licensed.

4 Likes

can we agree on “mostly harmless”

8 Likes

I never meant to suggest rich people don’t do drugs. They tend for the classier stuff like Opiates and Cocaine, but yeah, it can ruin lives. Though they have more resources to hide it better. Their kids aren’t going with out food, and if they finally have had enough they can afford a nice rehab place.

But the point of my post was that making drugs “expensive enough to deter overindulgence” is pointless. The only people that directly affects is the POOR. Rich and middle class people can afford $10, $20 packs of cigarettes with out having to give something else up.

1 Like

So does refined sugar, fast food, and many other things the FDA has said are safe in moderation. Heck, too much water will kill you. What’s your point?

The plant is harmless. Your chosen method of ingestion may change that. Since it would be your choice, I see no need for regulation. By the way, we don’t have all the data on anything.

4 Likes

If the cost of drugs isn’t the deterrent, maybe we can find a better one?

Like good parenting, community, and accountability?

If only there were a leadership type we could vote for for some high office who seemed to… get this.

(I’m talking about Bernie)

4 Likes

I think that many black and Hispanic Americans are already aware the government has been at war with them for a while. But I agree with you completely. This was a political move by Nixon, the point of political moves is to win elections. Voter suppression isn’t an accidental result of the war on drugs, it was the initial purpose of the war on drugs. How many millions have died? Nixon’s bodycount must rival Stalin’s.

I don’t think “deterrent” is the right way to think about it. The real question is, “How can we make people’s lives happy enough that they don’t feel they need to use drugs to tolerate them?” Sanders definitely has the closest thing to the answer that can be found in the current presidential race (by a long way).

12 Likes

If only electing the right president would encourage people to behave better.

But I’ve argued for years the current methods of “drugs bad!” and locking people in prison is a completely non-effective method.

Not everyone take drugs because they aren’t happy. Drugs feel good to take. Just like drinking can be fun. Sex can be fun. The problem is when one can’t moderate it.

Eh… gonna say the weed has a bit more of an affect than either of those things on kids. But yes, there are many things that are unhealthy that should still be legal.

Now I assume of course you aren’t saying kids should use pot. But at the same time - if it was COMPLETELY HARMLESS - why not? Because it isn’t.

And I agreed that one should be able to grow it for personal use.

4 Likes

Neither do I. I also think some drug use can be part of a quite happy life. Integrating families, communities, and accountability - though not probably in any sort of ongoing Bacchanalian haze.

I don’t think drugs cause problems. I do think drugs lower the threshold for awful and irresponsible behavior from people who are hurting from a lack of family, community, and/or accountability.

Humility, not humiliation, is what a community should teach. Maybe we will get there, probably not by way of a war on anything though.

3 Likes

Why do we think that only people who are unhappy with their lives will choose to alter their consciousness? Does the desire for “drugs” really differ from the desire for coffee or chocolate? What about people who choose to make an alcohol marijuana tincture to help with arthritis? Are they unhappy? Do they need anyone to step in to make their lives “happy enough”?
I think that borders on a condescending view of people making their own choices for their own reasons. The idea that drugs are bad and should be discouraged is a closed minded one.

like this one - as if choosing your own state of consciousness is a bad thing that should be discouraged.

Structural differences do not equate to harm. In fact, there is nothing to suggest that it is. Take it even further using that kind of logic and you could say that not taking marijuana creates brains that are structurally different and therefore abstinence is harmful.

5 Likes