No digital effects were used to animate this indie band's stop-motion music video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/09/no-digital-effects-were-used-t.html

7 Likes

Awesome video, but I’d like the song without it!

3 Likes

Uhm, stop motion is a visual effect!!

3 Likes

But is it a digital visual effect?

I loved both the video and the song. I’ll have to check out more by this band.

3 Likes

Generally “digital effect” refers to effects you couldn’t capture in-camera using traditional film technology.

3 Likes

They also didn’t use any digital affects!

2 Likes

Slightly more sophisticated than what the Spanish rap trio “Hablando en Plata” did nine years ago.

1 Like

See also the awesome video for Stephen Malkmus (formerly of Pavement) singing “Baby C’mon”:

Said The Whale said that they are planning to give away the 2,250 printed pieces of paper to fans, so they say that, in a way, they will be recycled. [source: YouTube comment by the band 21 hours ago]

1 Like

That’s a lot of photo printing and devotion. Loved it. Highlights: trip across the vegetables on the kitchen counter and growing stack of photos with ever changing photos at top.

Cool video, and even better song, but all the way through it was reminding me a LOT of another song I couldn’t place until it was over. It was reminding me of I’m Afraid of Americans by David Bowie.

On watching, they aren’t similar in any specific way I can point out except they sure have the same vibe and “feel” to the sound and lyrics! (And maybe a similar structure.)

Linked below because it is also an awesome song and video.

3 Likes

Ok Go did a cool thing where they slowed down an ultra-high-speed video so that a flipbook “played” at normal speed when everything else was in slow motion:

2 Likes

I mean, I guess that’s cool, but was it really worth wasting this much paper, ink, and effort just to say that no digital effects were used?

Lots of resources get used up to make most music videos. Is this way really any worse than most other ways? Plus, as noted above, the photos will be used again. Win win, pretty much.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.