No girl wins: three ways women unlearn their love of video games

Well, while I definitely agree that more diversity == good and wish author and her sister finding the games they love…
…I find the pretty explicit stereotyping of all women as “not fond of computer game violence” and “fond of specific types of game mechanics” to be deeply unsettling.

That’s sexism.

That’s insidious, pervasive sexism that pisses me off way more than any amount of 13yos screaming about [censored] in multiplayer matches.

Women aren’t born hardwired for “female interests” and “female technicolor aesthetics” and “non-agressive empathic gameplay” or some other bullshit like that, there is literally nothing about having two X chromosomes that would cause that kind of hardwiring (there may or may not be predispositions, science still out on this one, but definitely not “hardwired destiny” to prefer Cooking Mama over Alien:Isolation and Bulletstorm)

Pretending that “women who are into nonviolent, cutesy games” are the only women there are borders on (I hate the term, but the shoe fits!) erasure.

So, yes, more diversity is allright and enjoy the games you like, but please, pretty please don’t stereotype women into one homogenous hivemind. OK?

P.S.:
Also, calling bull on mario cart thing. It has vast cross-gender appeal, and people who disagree should get into the sea :wink:

9 Likes