Nobel Prize in Chemistry split 3 ways for lithium-ion battery research

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/09/nobel-prize-in-chemistry-split.html

5 Likes

More power to the three scientists for their resistance to the idea that current batteries were good enough.

11 Likes

I’m glad to hear there was little impedance to their inductance into the Nobel ranks.

7 Likes

John B. Goodenough - now that’s a song title.

8 Likes

They lead the charge in a polarized field.

From birth he was always assured government work.

4 Likes

There are positives and negatives in battery research, but it was good of Nobel to store up these three scientists for the award rather than discharge their work individually.

He never ever learned to read or right so well, but he could do chemistry like ringing a bell jar.

7 Likes

I’ve had my ion them.

5 Likes

Note that this year some white dudes in physics got the prize for a bit of minutiae around dark matter, meanwhile the woman who ACTUALLY SOLVED the galaxy rotation problem and provided the first actual evidence for the theorized substance was ignored year after year after year. And now she’s dead, so she will never win (Nobels are not awarded post-mortem). Vera Rubin was amazing. Look her up.

This has been your annual reminder that the Nobel Committee is a deeply sexist organization. Even in 2019 they continue to ignore every scientific contribution made by half the human race.

(Edited for typo)

4 Likes

It’s sadly not just the Nobel Committee. There’s a lot of sexism, conscious and unconscious, individual and systemic, in the sciences.

1 Like

And the ability to play jazz.

1 Like

Well, duh. Everything is, of course. All the more reason to point it out as much as possible, particularly in prominent prestigious organizations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.