Nobel-winning economist Joe Stiglitz calls neoliberalism "a failed ideology" and sketches out a "progressive capitalism" to replace it

Good for them. It’s about time the capitalists got on board with surviving in to the next century.

1 Like

By like… a million miles. Reaganomics was an unmitigated disaster that is still having consequences for our society today. We really need to start to reverse what they did to our country and the global economy and build something more sustainable, equitable, and that works for people instead of markets.

2 Likes

Neoliberalism is Reaganomics with a fake concern-veneer and a go-slightly-slower approach. It still gets you to dystopian collapse and oligarchy, but it takes the scenic route and convinces you it’s only going to put in the tip.

4 Likes

Sorry, I’m not really following your point. Are you suggesting that buying $89M fighter jets that are not actually better at close combat and dogfights as Russian jets and can’t evade Chinese SAMs is how to win? I guess we can get a participation trophy for WW3 after we start it.

You implied we don’t have a chance of winning. Considering we spend more than China and Russia combined I’d say we probably would. (Especially since if Neo Napoleon is leading I assume France will be on our side :wink: )

Outspending is how we beat the U.S.S.R. but there is no guarantee it will work again. Especially given that we’re spending more but yielding less effective technology and managing it poorly.

But we’ll probably hit environmental disaster before any hot war breaks out, so maybe it doesn’t matter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.