Nonfungible Olive Gardens

In my experience, I’ve found Olive Gardens to be quite fungible

So, if I wanted to “own” the Mona Lisa, I’d do a high resolution scan of it, take the hash of that image file, go run an algorithm and spew tons of CO2 into the air, and then sell the resulting NFT for some ETH. Then, I take the original image file, reduce the resolution by 0.1% so the hash is different, go spew some more carbon, and have a new NFT for sale. Repeat until the planet warms and the market’s saturated.

Sounds like a solid fucking business plan with no downsides.

4 Likes

I’d make an NFT of that image. Or, y’know, just give me the recipe or serve me up a plate.

1 Like

This is a lot like buying a photo of PS5 on ebay scam. But at least they probably mail you the photo.

2 Likes

If space aliens came along, I would be OK with them vaporizing us just over this NFT stupidity. We don’t deserve to continue as a species.

1 Like

Basically yes. I mean, obviously not because that isn’t how ownership works but anyone can make an NFT of the Mona Lisa and then sell the token. There can be millions of Mona Lisa NFTs each individually uniquely identifiable from a digital standpoint but practically interchangable.

This isn’t an insurmountable problem. It’s possible to have something like NFTs with trusted issuers that give them meaning. It’s not a great idea but it could actually work. But the people interested in NFTs are not interested in any of that practical nonsense.

1 Like

Oh, definitely. They need a tracking number so that eBay counts it as a legit sale of a physical good. Without a tracking number you could get a refund.

That is the NFT business model in a nutshell.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.