North Carolina couple call cops on midnight intruder that turns out to be their robot vacuum

4 Likes

Put a R2D2 shell on that contraption and you can get close to your victims while they think it’s just a cute prank. Even suicide bombers will soon find themselves out of work as robots take over more and more jobs.

2 Likes

I used to think my Roomba had issues because it would repeatedly get stuck under the bed - where the floor needed vacuuming the least. Worse than that, it would go under there when the battery was low and run out of power. After struggling to reach it a few times, I started blocking it from vacuuming that area at all. Now I wonder if it was attempting to hide from my cat. :smirk_cat:

6 Likes

Either they need to smoke less weed, or they need to smoke more.

8 Likes

But that’s where the dust bunnies congregate! Apparently they’ve been successful with the subliminal suggestions they’ve been whispering while you sleep:
“Psst…don’t bother vacuuming under the bed…don’t bother vacuuming under the bed…”

6 Likes

6 Likes

Forsyth Co, NC…they live like 5 mins from me. Sigh

Besides they should have bought a Neato. We bought the lower end D3 about 3 years ago. It is a smart vac and maps the rooms. We picked it up for a similar price “dumb” Roomba. It does a good job and I like the fact Neato keeps upgrading it. Our low end D3 has had multiple firmware upgrades and now has the ability to set virtual walls with in the app. It’s great for marking out beds or furniture where it’ll get stuck.

*I don’t work for or own stock in Neato, just think they have a superior product to the defacto Roomba.

4 Likes

2ej69i

8 Likes

5 Likes

In this environment, I was expecting the story to include something like “funeral Arrangement are being made for the 3 African American neighbors accidentally shot by police during the incident response”

2 Likes

I happen to live in a city and country where I can safely make the assumption that unidentified movement coming from within my house are not intruders.

For those who don’t have the same privilege I do, should I be

• Mocking them for calling the police,
  • Chiding them for not being brave enough to risk their safety investigating themselves, or
  • Praising them for not investigating using a firearm, avoiding the sorts of tragedies that we’ve all read about?

(I know, I’m taking this article way too seriously. But the sort of gentle mockery between friends of our daily embarrassments rarely comes across well on the Internet. This felt a bit mean)

You do know there’s a way to delete your own comments?

10 Likes

So - would their failing robotic vacuum be called ‘Dirty Harry’?

"I know in all the excitement you kind of forgot whether I picked up 5 paper clips, or six. Well to tell you the truth, I kind of forgot myself… "

2 Likes

Ouch. Well played, but ouch.

Okay, rather than softening my criticism with the last line, let me put it plainly:

I think the couple, rather than put themselves (or if they own a firearm, others) in peril, did the correct thing, and now they are being mocked for it. That BB, who should be praising people who correctly entrust self-defense to the state, seems punishing those who do so, seems especially egregious.

However, this is egregious on a 3/10 scale. Worth a comment (now two), but not outrage.

Okay, I think it’s safe to say that your mild level of offendedness has been duly noted.

11 Likes

None of the above. You should be disappointed that RoboCop didn’t show up.

9 Likes

“Outrage?”

I see a bunch of roomba anecdotes, some corny jokes or puns, and one metaphorical necklace made of semiprecious stones being grasped rather tightly.

12 Likes

I almost did this myself once while home alone over the holidays due to illness. I woke up Christmas day around three in the morning to the sound of something thumping around. Was on the verge of calling but eventually I placed the sound and noticed that the power had cut out at some point in the night. For some reason a power outage sometimes triggers my cheap knockoff roomba to start up. Definitely spooked me for a while though.

8 Likes

/makes notes for a burglar robot disguised as a roomba.

9 Likes

Yaaay!! Santa’s here!!

Aw, darn…

4 Likes