North Dakota universities upset that Minnesota's free college tuition plan will end flow of students and their money

Originally published at: North Dakota universities upset that Minnesota's free college tuition plan will end flow of students and their money | Boing Boing

9 Likes

From my seat here in Minnesota:

GIF by Matthew Henry

That said, I want strong and affordable/free post-secondary education available to all people in all states. So what they really should do is race MN to the “bottom” on this particular issue and put more money into North Dakota’s college system.

31 Likes

Feudalists and fascists throwing a fit about actual meritocracy being a thing is a beautiful sight to behold

22 Likes

A High School friend went to college in North Dakota (a Bible college, no less!). He told me that in the winter it’s so brutally cold and windy that everyone uses the underground tunnels that connect all the buildings. He also said that in spring everyone had a yellow pallor from all of the fluorescent lighting. Made me glad I chose the Army.

12 Likes

since the supreme court shutdown federal loan forgiveness because of an (incorrect) theory it somehow might hurt state investments, it makes me wonder whether nd could sue mn over this… :confused:

8 Likes

Right-wingers in charge eventually lead to brain drains. Always.

11 Likes

Standing has no damned meaning anymore, why not? 8th Circuit court, ND will definitely give it a go - it’s one of the 2 main corruption pipelines to SCOTUS. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

It’s not so much standing as a conflict of laws issues. Even the most brain wormed federalist society member should be able to see what an immediate clusterfuck it would be if a state could enjoin another state on that other state’s own soil.

3 Likes

I can already hear it, Kavenaugh says “hold my beer”.

8 Likes

That didn’t stop Texas from trying in 2020.

8 Likes

There’s a bottom I’d be happy to see a race to.

2 Likes

That’s not plausible in the slightest.

Would he be willing to hand his beer to anyone?

5 Likes

TX v PA had a federal constitutional cause of action, even if it was a bullshit one. For this you’d need an interstate commerce argument to go federal, and a) conservatives hate those and don’t want to make them stronger b) it would be the starting gun on a level of interstate legislative combat that would render the federal courts inoperative in weeks not months. The independent state legislature theory is actually comparatively narrow in scope by comparison.

1 Like

“Probably half of our football team comes from Minnesota, so that’s kind of a big deal to us,” College of Science President Rod Flanigan said.

The College of Science President said that.

9 Likes

Good on MN!
But, feck, I hate financial reporting style. It’s not quite up there with the passive voice used in police reporting, but this stuff:

It’s not a loss, it’s just unrealized, anticipated gains. That’s not the same thing, but they always report it like it is.
If I check my savings account, and $20k has disappeared, I’ve lost $20k. If I somehow planned to make $100k but only make $80k, I didn’t lose $20k.

9 Likes

ND: Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Stop whining and do something to be competitive. Do away with tuition as well, then discount on-campus room and board, improve the cafeterias and student meal plans, renovate the dorms by utilizing future student labor and offer those who participate discounts on aforementioned room/board/meal plans (a campus Americorps if you will).

Just like petrol stations don’t make money on petrol, it’s the convenience store portion that really rakes in the revenue.

2 Likes

I dreamt I won the lottery last night and this morning there were millions missing from my bank account. Millions!

I can’t quite remember how many millions.

6 Likes

At least you’ll get the tax write off :wink:

4 Likes

I’m rich so! Must dream more often!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.