North Korea makes the best counterfeit $100 bills

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/11/north-korea-makes-the-best-cou.html

2 Likes

that Emmanuel Goldstein, is there nothing he won’t do?

11 Likes

What provokes the NK’s to do this? I ask you…

Or longer

3 Likes

From way back in 2006…

(And, shit, @anotherone found an even older article about this)

Apparently NK has the same intaglio presses that the US Treasury uses.

ETA: NK’s supernote production goes back to at least the 1980s.

4 Likes

I have to disagree. The federal reserve makes the best counterfeit $100 bills.

14 Likes

BTW, Sam B’s recent bit on the DPRK was surprisingly balanced:

2 Likes

North Korea doesn’t really need all those aid shipments. Surprise?

The fact that the rulers are flush will ill-gotten cash means nothing if they don’t spend any of it making sure their citizens have enough to eat. Which they don’t.

1 Like

That’s my point: It’s cruel, but reasonable to cut them the fuck off, so that “Dear Leader” doesn’t look like such a god anymore and maybe the populace will start revolving their society to a better state.

2 Likes

I was thinking I saw this story years and years ago.

2 Likes

would be interesting to learn if counterfeit bills were being used to purchase large amounts of bitcoin.

6 Likes

I’m not surprised that they’d be doing this, there aren’t really very many ways they can get any legitimate foreign exchange going.

4 Likes

Isn’t all money fake?

2 Likes

Good to know.

1 Like

North Korea is accused of hacking Bitcoin servers as well. Why pay when you can just take? Paying is such a capitalist idea.

2 Likes

That’s basically the same thinking that’s behind Giulio Douhet’s theories about aerial warfare; postulated in the 1920ies, tested in the late 1930ies / early 1940ies at a large scale. TL;DR: doesn’t work that well.

2 Likes

It didn’t work very well when they tried again on North Korea a decade later, either.

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is that the international community should start sending aid to the US?
Wait, maybe that’s what the norks are doing!

To print supernote-level forgeries, you need a minting corporation-level production line in place, which costs hundreds of billions of won

Payment due 30 days after delivery, right? Dollars OK?

3 Likes