Northern California high school student hands out deportation letters to classmates

If we still had civics classes, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

4 Likes

Based on a few years of reading BBS comments, I understand that lots of us may not have been the popular kids, but still I bet that some of us did some kind of shitty things as kids just like this kid has done a shitty thing.

I can only hope he learns from this.

5 Likes

I can only hope that what he learns is NOT “I can do shitty things to minorities and all I get is a stern talking-to.”

19 Likes

It’s lucky for him that society is wiser than to decide junior high school students’ punishment by public vote. I for one am feeling very democratic at the moment.

1 Like

True, BUT…what if the words were die, I’m going to kill you, etc…
Because that’s next.

4 Likes

Students have landed in serious trouble for Facebook “joke” posts claiming that they’re going to shoot/blow up their school.

2 Likes

I subjected myself to his acceptance speech. Trump actually looked shocked that he’d won.

6 Likes

Hopefully, his thought process is “Oh, crap, now I have to do the job to appease the rubes and move out of the penthouse. Is there a way out now?”

11 Likes

Taking a wild guess: he’s white, isn’t he?

13 Likes

8 Likes

Oh yeah, the “Just Kidding” ploy. Say any mean fucking thing you want and then append “Just Kidding”

10 Likes

If you “pull a prank” or “tell a joke” and you’re the only one who laughs, then maybe you’re just an asshole.

21 Likes

I was thinking the student should be deported without any id or papers. if they made it back into the USA then maybe they’d have more empathy for what some people have to go through in order to try and seek out better lives for themselves and their families.

I mean, this doesn’t seem too harsh, deporting people is FUNNY right? it’s a joke bro…

8 Likes

You´re right, kids LOVE being mean, and if the authorities will allow or encourage it, they will excel at it.

11 Likes

consider:

• a screenshot of the perpetrator’s video has a caption under one target saying “another French one”

• the news article says the notices were handed “to students of different ethnicities”, which could be read as “students with ethnicities other than that of the perpetrator”, or could mean “students of various ethnicities including that of the perpetrator”

• it doesn’t say what the ethnicity of the perpetrator is - what if he were an immigrant himself?

Could’ve been a quite poignant piece of video if it was done right. Guess we’ll never know.

My first thought was “Then that’s some dark gallows humour right there.”

I think I’ll stick with that, because “Maybe something, it depends on the stuff” is more accurate, but less satisfying.

1 Like

as a middle aged adult I feel sorry for this kid, because that is my purpose as a middle aged adult. As a kid, remembering my teens I guess I would have made fun of him for the next year until he and his friends got together to kick my ass and then I would have made fun of his some more.

What I’m saying is somewhere there is a Latino nerd whom I envy.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the “letters”, but I expect that even without the context (being passed around by a fellow student), the letters are obviously much closer to satire than true threats. These handouts are less threatening than Trump’s (non-true threat) “2nd amendment people should take care of Hillary” business IMO.

Context is everything. Writing “I think all immigrants should be deported” in the local Ku Klux Klan newspaper is one thing, causing fear in other individuals is another.
I keep hearing that “freedom of speech” means the right to express unpleasant views. Fair enough. But to take our own lovely Nigel Farage (currently with his tongue deep in Trump’s anus) as an example, there is a difference between saying “I disagree with Obama’s policies” and “Obama is a loathsome individual”. One is politics; one is verging on incitement.

4 Likes