Norwegian cruise ship quarantined off Mauritius coast due to possible cholera outbreak

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/25/norwegian-cruise-ship-quarantined-off-mauritius-coast-due-to-possible-cholera-outbreak.html

5 Likes

Love in the time of cholera? Hardly. Your best hope is that it doesn’t turn into 100 years of solitude

18 Likes

You and me both. You couldn’t pay me enough to go on a cruise. And I felt that way even before COVID.

16 Likes

Measles, cholera. Up next, polio and whooping cough make their returns to the advanced economies.

14 Likes

sick e coli GIF by Massive Science
Not a shot in hell you’d get me on a cruise ship.

10 Likes

This conversation actually happened.

Hey Uncle tcg550 and Aunt tcg551, we’re planning a family reunion on a cruise ship can we put you down for a yes?

Um, I don’t know, let me think abo…

No.

16 Likes

For some reason I do find cruise ships fascinating but have no urge to go on a cruise even without the fun diseases.

10 Likes

The only cruise I’ve ever been tempted to go on is the Star Trek one. Otherwise, big nope.

10 Likes

Apparently not cholera. Just some other Gastrointestinal illness.

Norwegian Dawn: Mauritius says cruise ship can dock after cholera scare

5 Likes

“sure jan” gif goes here.
don’t trust the corporation to tell the truth here.

4 Likes

TBF, norovirus is much easier to spread than cholera, there is the possibility they were drinking australian wine though:

6 Likes

“Cholera” (Холера) was one of the few curse words my grandmother used. I’ve gathered it’s still in common use in some parts of Russia. It was serious business in the 19th century, supposedly killed Tchaikovsky.

5 Likes

What, you don’t fancy shitting out your insides/possible death on bord a floating ersatz Vegas hotel?

Why do you hate Freedom???

7 Likes

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

2 Likes

So don’t be putting the UK coastline on your to-do list.

Oh, wait, just spotted the word “warm”.
It’s all fine, come on in.

1 Like

We’ve got rickets, over here in austerity Britain!

2 Likes

It also likely killed US President Zachary Taylor. And maybe some others, although not while they were still in office.

2 Likes

My Ukrainian great-aunt did the same. Her parents emigrated as children in the early 1900s, so one assumes their parents heard it in common usage in the mid-to-late 1800s. They came from Western Ukraine, so it could have been a very bad widespread outbreak in that part of the world.

2 Likes

to be posted whenever someone talks about Penfolds Grange? Or not, considering the last line.

1 Like

A leak from the poop tanks into the water ones? I guess they better take the handle off of the well pump.

1 Like