Cruise ships experiencing COVID outbreaks despite 'safety protocols'

Originally published at: Cruise ships experiencing COVID outbreaks despite 'safety protocols' | Boing Boing

17 Likes

getting on a cruise ship right now feels like taking the first opportunity to go to Jurassic Park on vacation after a T-Rex has decimated your town. Sure, they’ve got new safety measures in place but…why would you want to, how is that a relaxing mind-space to be in? You don’t have any…bad mental/emotional associations with cruises?

46 Likes

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

41 Likes

It don’t take much to spread a disease in a tight relatively confined space with a centralized climate control system (just look at Legionnaires’ disease). Combine that with a virus that’s already great at spreading itself through the air and you have a disaster

22 Likes

Pre-COVID it was Norovirus outbreaks:

I’m all for people enjoying themselves on vacation, but it’s becoming apparent there are downfalls to the cruise industry, and this is a deal-killer for me.

25 Likes

So a little tangent, that Poseidon clip made me think of either an old movie quote or maybe a bit from a comedian, referencing when Leslie Nielson’s character sees the wave, as “Yikes, that’s a really big wave!”

Can’t for the life of me place where that comes from. :thinking:

1 Like

giphy (2)

39 Likes

Cruise Ships during a pandemic? No thanks…

17 Likes

amanda seyfried raise hand GIF

24 Likes

Yeah, nope.

15 Likes

It probably doesn’t help that the Venn diagram of “people who refuse to get vaccinated” and “people who think taking a cruise during a pandemic is fine” is a single circle.

16 Likes

“I do not understand the attraction of floating around the world in a petri-dish, bringing a small pocket of 1990s mall culture everywhere you go. I believe that one of the courts of hell is spending eternity as a cruise ship entertainer with dreams of performing on Broadway.”

I have no desire to vacation on a mega cruise ship, but I could see 20 year old self enjoying a season working on one. (of course I grew up watching The Love Boat, and I was a teen in the 90s mall culture).

9 Likes

I’m sure there’s a huge overlap in that diagram but, given that 95% of guests were vaccinated (including 98% of positive cases) that pretty much by definition means that “people who think taking a cruise during a pandemic is fine” includes a whole lot of vaccinated people as well.

13 Likes

Reminds me of the movie Jaws.

Problem: There’s a killer shark.
Solution: Stay out of the effing water!
However: People are stupid, and keep going in the water.

Same for getting on a cruise ship in the middle of a pandemic.

13 Likes

They probably thought that if the whole crowd was vaccinated then the risk of getting sick was very small. I still wouldn’t take a cruise on one of those ships.

7 Likes

I suppose “Symptomatic on the Seas” could have worked too but his is better.

15 Likes

Well, if they call a cruise to test a new ship a “Shakedown cruise”, they could have called this one a “Breakthrough cruise”, to see just how many vaccinated people could catch a breakthrough infection…

4 Likes

It’s almost like the corona virus is novel…

5 Likes

Malady of the Seas was another choice.

19 Likes

Or how about Don’t-Get-On-A-Fookin’-Cruise-Ship-In-The-Middle-Of-A-Fookin’-Pandemic of the Seas

9 Likes