Passenger cruise results in 2 cases of COVID-19

Originally published at: Passenger cruise results in 2 cases of COVID-19 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I was wondering why some statements said crew & passengers were “fully vaccinated” while others cited this 95% figure but apparently the answer is “kids too young to get the vaccine.”

11 Likes

95% effectiveness at best is the most likely answer here. Why would anyone get on a cruise ship at this point? Norovirus was enough to take them off my list. There is nothing that would get me on one now.

27 Likes

Let’s all take a Boing Boing cruise? What’a say fellow mutants?

14 Likes

The article states it pretty clearly?
" About 500 passengers were on board, with over 95% fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests."

5 Likes

I hate to say I’m glad, but jerks are going to fuck up everything for the rest of us, so the more this is done and accentuated, perhaps others will rethink a brilliant strategy of faked cards and ‘who cares’.

I just hope nobody is killed while others learn their lesson.

10 Likes

Yes, it was the excerpt and the statements in the early parts if the article that confused me.

6 Likes

COVID-19, no longer exciting and new
Come Aboard. We’re expecting you.
And COVID, life’s sweetest reward.
Spray it out, it floats back to you.

COVID Boat soon will be making noses run
The COVID Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a clean pair of pants.

And COVID won’t hurt anymore
If you just put on your mask when you walk through the door.
Yes COOOOOOOOOOOVID!

Welcome Aboard. It’s COOOOOOOOOOVID!

26 Likes

You do understand that humans are involved with this experiment? That’s basically the whole point I thought, kill or be killed.

[my optimism is at an all time low for humanity] [my apologies]

11 Likes

In this case since the guests with the positive tests shared a room it seems very likely that the positive tests are real, but I do wonder what type of tests they’re doing because the false positive rate is not zero, and is worse for some tests than for others. Per the FDA, with 500 people being tested it’s not unexpected that you could potentially get a couple of false positives:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/letters-health-care-providers/potential-false-positive-results-antigen-tests-rapid-detection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory

4 Likes

I was in a store the other day still wearing my mask even though MA rolled back that requirement (I have two unvaccinated little monkeys in school who sometimes fib/forget about “did you wash your hands?”).

The cashier said “you know, you don’t have to wear that thing any more”.

People just don’t understand that this is not over and vigilance/vaccines are the only way to make this situation better (and years will probably be required to make this situation go away…MMR anyone? It’s still kicking around).

16 Likes

It’s a classic case of “human crop failure”, frankly there’s no other way to put it.

10 Likes

This is a legitimate question even if there were no disease whatsoever.

15 Likes

Just ask the Skipper, Gilligan, Mary Ann, Mr. & Mrs. Howell, Ginger, and the Professor.

7 Likes

Honestly this seems like more or less a success story?

Due to high vaccination rate there was no outbreak on the ship, nobody got severely ill, and the asymptomatic cases were detected before they left the ship and infected more people who might get sick. If the rest of the world was operating like this: (even with some people lying about mandatory vacciinations) we’d already be at zero cases.

I personally wouldn’t get on a cruise ship pre- or post-COVID, both from the disease factor and that it is just not my thing. However at this point it doesn’t seem like a cruise ship operating under these conditions is that bad for people who actually like it.

18 Likes

I’m curious if DeSantis doubling down on “don’t ask, don’t tell” for everyone docking in Florida is going to result in plague ship(s).

5 Likes

It all depends who’s in charge on the bridge.

6 Likes

Well Me of course!

12 Likes

OK. I’m on board with this. :wink:

7 Likes

Great, are you vaccinated? No fibbing now…

8 Likes