Exciting and new: 89 cruise ships currently report COVID-19 cases

Originally published at: Exciting and new: 89 cruise ships currently report COVID-19 cases | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Ryan Reynolds Insult GIF by The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

17 Likes

Locked inside a huge metal tube with sick humans is not my idea of vacation.

20 Likes

I have a good freind who’s counting down the days until their January Carnival cruise.

I hate to ruin a perfectly good friendship but I’m so tempted to post a great big wtf next time they post the countdown.

9 Likes

who the actual fuck - thinks a cruise is a good idea right now?

WHO?

other than, of course, the CEO of a cruise line who needs MOAR profit…

12 Likes

Not forgetting that the interiors are designed to look and feel like what happens when a late 1990s mall humps Las Vegas.

9 Likes

You might need to get their Herman Cain award ready.

8 Likes

Enjoy that the islands won’t even let the ships land. They don’t want the tourist revenue that much, the US? Keep the ports open.

5 Likes

Yeah, who designs these monstrosities?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t want to go anywhere near a cruise ship for a variety of reasons, and I don’t think it’s a good idea for them to be operating right now, but, if true, that “less frequent than on land” point is relevant to the conversation, right?

(Not that I’m saying it’s necessarily true. It was a statement from a Cruise industry PR person, after all)*

For comparison 1 in 50 Manhattan residents were reported to be infected with Covid last week.

*Update: of COURSE the PR flack was lying. As just announced, 5000 ship-borne cases over a 2-week period is a damn high case rate.

1 Like

HOT TAKE:
The type of people who go on cruises are the type of people to falsify their vaccination status.

Wait. They don’t even need to go to the trouble to do that on some lines. Eg, for Crystal Cruises:

On sailings out of Florida, the cruise line does not mandate vaccinations but requires all unvaccinated passengers 12 and older to obtain travel insurance and undergo a PCR test within three days of embarkation.

It can take 5-7 days for the viral load to show up in tests, so just taking a test the day before embarkation means you could easily be carrying undetectable covid.

For some lines, you just need a “doctor’s note”— which, in Florida, just means finding a friendly doctor who also votes Republiqan.

7 Likes

here it is the last ship GIF
Why the hell is this still a thing?? Floating Petri dishes in a pandemic seems extremely ill conceived!

12 Likes

So how long does the spread take on a cruise ship and what percentage end up infected on a given ship? This could be useful information. Also how many asymptomatic passengers show symptoms after returning home.

If they are going to fill the floating Petri dish we should at least get some data. Also compare it to the early COVID ships.

4 Likes

I suspect the very same people who have lucrative careers turning international airports into shopping malls where you can only reach your plane after hiking mile upon enraging mile between overpriced tat boutiques; eyes watering from chemical warfare clouds of ‘fragrance’. (Yes, I use Heathrow a lot)

5 Likes

Pay no attention to the people in moonsuits with tablets, and enjoy your cruise!

6 Likes

Wait, there are (at least) 89 cruise ships at sea?

10 Likes

Do cruise ships have morgues?

5 Likes

They have walk-in freezers.

7 Likes

Yes.

This seems like something Caitlyn Doughty should cover (or maybe has covered)?

caitlin-doughty-pizza-drag-queen

10 Likes

Cruise ships have long deserved their reputation for being petri dishes. Every few months there was a report about some boats having a high number of passengers coming down with the vomiting shits or whatever.

They were completely unappealing years before the pandemic; now that we’re here, I can only see them as towering incubators.

5 Likes