Carnival Cruise Line to start cruises again August 1, with 8 ships leaving from Miami, Port Canaveral and Galveston.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/04/darwins-law.html

4 Likes

9th-doctor-what-really-ugh|nullxnull

24 Likes

Oh, Snap

31 Likes

“Are they going to Galapagos to learn about Charles Darwin?”

That’s great, considering one of Vonnegut’s last books was called “Galapagos” and was about a group of humans stranded on the islands when a great plague descends on humanity, and they are the last human population untouched by the disease.

This pandemic is going to go on for a very long time.

23 Likes

Oh, for fucks sake.

I have been trying so hard not to go down that gleeful path of schadenfreude. I am quick to push back when I hear people say we should think of it as evolution in action. The virus doesnt care. The maskless protesters will infect plenty of people who would never be so stupid…

But anyone who would sign on for one of these cruises, having already seen the kind of nightmare that others have endured… I can’t in good conscience wish them the best of luck.

16 Likes

Hey Governors, be sure that Carnival publicly indemnifies hospitals & medical staff in Miami, Port Canaveral, Galveston, & anywhere else they plan to return to as a condition of such return. See if that affects prices and plans. Hospitals and med staff – be sure to let your Governor/mayor/etc know where you stand on this.

13 Likes

“If my friends could see me now”… they’d probably not want to be my friends anymore.

5 Likes

Come for the Norovirus, stay for the coronavirus!
(stolen)

25 Likes

Wait, wasn’t the Tenth Doctor in “Voyage of the Damned?” :thinking:

7 Likes

Indeed. But Vonnegut is going to go on for a very longer time. He is the Voice of Hope.

Have you read his letter to his family, written at the close of the Second World War? It rings with Survivor’s Guilt, and I consider it a formidable work of art – a real contribution to literature (in the long run, of course; at the time it was a letter home) and a sign of Vonnegut to come.

The relevant excerpts tell all:

• “I was one of the few who weren’t wounded. For that much thank God.”
  • “On Christmas eve the Royal Air Force bombed and strafed our unmarked train. They killed about one-hundred-and-fifty of us.”
  • “Many men died from shock in the showers after ten days of starvation, thirst and exposure. But I didn’t.”
  • “They beat me up a little. I was fired as group leader. Beatings were very small time: — one boy starved to death and the SS Troops shot two for stealing food.”
  • “On about February 14th the Americans came over, followed by the R.A.F. their combined labors killed 250,000 people in twenty-four hours and destroyed all of Dresden — possibly the world’s most beautiful city. But not me.”
  • “[Russian] planes (P-39’s) strafed and bombed us, killing fourteen, but not me.”
  • “Eight of us stole a team and wagon. We traveled and looted our way through Sudetenland and Saxony for eight days, living like kings. The Russians are crazy about Americans.”

Letter of Note

16 Likes

For $28 a day, it should also cover intubation.

5 Likes

$28 a day, including food

Well shit, that might actually be cheaper than staying home. Out of work? Evicted from your apartment? Well for about the price of a squalid hostel bed and Dollar General meals, you can join our fabulous Corona Cruise! See the world! Meet thousands of new people! Enjoy sumptuous buffets and crowded lukewarm wading pools! No extra charge for extended vacation in port upon your return!

21 Likes

Carnival is incorporated in Panama. Let all of the people embark, and disembark from there. What’s the problem?

Of course, there is the 2 week waiting period to get back into the US, but if you’re on a week long cruise it just means you tripled your vacation!

Oh, wait. Carnival has political connects…never mind, come right back in!

6 Likes

I’m torn between a sarcastic WCGW, and a straight up what the hell is wrong with these people?

2 Likes

I wish every politician and political pundit who are pushing for opening up everything would pause in their frothing and take a nice long Carnival cruise. Show us plebes that it’s safe.

11 Likes

Come for the food poisoning, nickel and diming, and sexual assault by crewmembers, stay for easy spread of disease.

3 Likes

Three, two, one… Corona Cruise!

3 Likes

Oh FFS! The post office gets to just disintegrate, but these assholes are allowed to basically kill people for money.

RRRRRRRRR!!!

10 Likes

Correct!

10th-allonsy-alonso

7 Likes

15 Likes