Not a fan of the new "jump" interface. One handed operation is broken

It’s even more worse on my iPad as using the scroll line freezes Safari so hard I have to force it closed. Then I can reopen the app and close the tab.

Hmm what is the repro here? Be in portrait vs. landscape?

What version of iOS are you on as well?

Portrait mode, iOS 10.1.

Some other design notes: it’s not at all obvious or intuitive that you can tap on the top or the bottom to get it to go to the beginning/end.

I still don’t get why this is needed. You can swipe to scroll (just like the much maligned scroller on the “fat” web site that supplements a perfectly good scroll bar). Is wanting to scroll to an arbitrary point using some additional control a much asked for feature? I know my 99% use case is I either want to go to the beginning or the end of the thread, not some arbitrary point in the middle. The longer the thread, the less useful it is.

2 Likes

@sam, portrait mode, iOS 10.0.1

Seems to happen more often when I’m not logged in, which is my default read mode on the iPad.

Like I said, and I’ll keep saying, you should be able to tap the title which is an enormous target. So at least half of those cases – the beginning half – are solved with a large click / tap target.

I agree moving to bottom should be easy, so perhaps we can make that target bigger as well.

1 Like

Better than the last one.

We might not be there yet, but the big improvement over the old system is that it doesn’t push focus to a text box automatically, which pops up a keyboard I don’t need.

1 Like

Regardless I agree the tap targets should be larger on mobile for fingers vs mouse pointers, so I have embiggened them through the mobile CSS and added a tiny bit of padding (internal box size) to boot.

OK new version deployed here courtesy of @sam. To be clear, I’ve marked in pink the areas that will jump you to top or bottom respectively:

Thanks. I’ll try it out later when I’m on my phone.

OK, how is latest?

Notice how you get a cool little post excerpt. Makes it much easier to scroll through large topics on mobile in my opinion.

3 Likes

I’ve adjusted to the latest iteration :slight_smile:

That’s dope. :+1:

Thanks . I think it seems like a good improvement

This topic was automatically closed after 113 days. New replies are no longer allowed.