Not just Germany: the NSA has been spying on France's leaders since at least 1995

Thanks for the long explanation I wasn’t asking for. I’m not sure who the “we” are who weren’t “supposed” to know, but a lot of people outside of the agencies have been discussing these topics for at least 30 years. I’m not trying to say there aren’t multiple issues to discuss, I was just trying to say that the original article was in regard to NSA.

Is it hyperbolic of me to imagine that no matter how fairly structured and closely followed any treaty concerning spying is, that there will always be black-budgeted, off limits, most-top-don’t-even-think-about-it secret programs which will abide by no rules except ‘be efficacious’?

2 Likes

As long as you also support the right to discuss the associated security technologies that make said spying significantly more risky and expensive.

France is No Angel, and therefore had it coming?

Many US counterintelligence efforts are directed against Israeli espionage schemes-- the Mossad would like there to be many more Jonathan Pollards.

and yet, on paper, Israel and the United States are “friends”

1 Like

Their outrage is hypocritical. They know what intelligence agencies are for, they aren’t afraid to use theirs when it suits them. In case you missed the reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

1 Like

I’m fine wirh that.

No, I think it’s pretty realistic.

I’m coming to the notion that Nassim Taleb (wrote The Black Swan) is right – the problem is largely one of size. The US government is so big and controls so much money that our spy programs end up correspondingly big and invasive. Maybe the only hope for democracy is smaller states whose spy agencies need to prioritize what I’ve been calling “conventional spycraft” over the ridiculous shit the NSA and CIA do.

1 Like

And to compound the problem, the congressional oversight is minimal.

1 Like

Then what about the recent noises about banning “export of intangible dual-use tech”, or, in other words, banning speech, the ability to discuss certain problematics, may of them from the field of computer security?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.