French spy boss admits France cyberattacked Iran, Canada, Spain, Greece, Norway, Ivory Coast, Algeria, and others

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/15/french-spy-boss-admits-france.html

3 Likes

French spy boss admits France cyberattacked Iran, Canada, Spain, Greece, Norway, Ivory Coast, Algeria, and others

Is Dumbfuckastan covered in and others?

2 Likes

I’m shocked (SHOCKED!) that all that stuff that anyone who’s been paying attention already knows to be true, is still true! Shocked!

/ I’ve found a copy of the article in French and D/Led an MP3 of the talk. More opinions may follow.

3 Likes

That’s not really fair. The DGSE has their own history and tend to be good at what they do on their own.

3 Likes

I’m shocked (SHOCKED!) that all that stuff that anyone who’s been paying attention already knows to be true, is still true! Shocked!

I once attended a conference with the head of France’s School of Economic Warfare. Interesting stuff!

From everything I’ve read, the French are really good at burning American intelligence officers and have no qualms about industrial espionage. The taboo may be in admitting it, but it’s not like these French intelligence activities come as a shock to us.

1 Like

Well those guys blew up the Rainbow Warrior, so, not that good.

6 Likes

I don’t get it

Sorry my written English is not really good.
Do you know the Rainbow Warrior scandal ? the DGSE blew it and kill a poor guy in the process. They made a terrible job and fail terribly at cover it. The New Zealand Police arrest two of the spies and expose the affair to the world.
My point is : the Rainbow Warrior case was a shit-show so maybe the DGSE is (or was) not so good at spy stuff.

More information :

(in French)

4 Likes

“Admit” is not a synonym for “claim” or “boast”.

Ahem.

Getting caught was a screwup indeed.

Bombing a civilian boat and killing a guy wasn’t enough ?

2 Likes

Hopefully neutralizing the deadly threat posed by Canada’s aggression

I’m surprised that there aren’t more publicly acknowledged “bad guys” on that list

1 Like

Killing someone who should have been tried in court was not wonderful. Greenpeace may be full of crooks kooks and quasi-terrorist but personally I’d rather they were dealt with through the courts.

I love the smell of driving trollies in the morning!

4 Likes

Nah, just the facts jack

Not to mention that the French government “field tested” the mass surveillance systems that they had built by selling them to Libya where they were used to violently crush dissidents. The team contracted to design and build the equipment now works out of the UAE. So even their “defensive capabilities” have been bought with a lot of blood.

@thaumatechnicia: Worth a read if you like French language stuff:

A good description for any spy agency.

1 Like

The CBC just reported that the RCMP and CSIS knew back then that Abdullah Almalki, Muayyed Nureddin and Ahmad Elmaati would be tortured in Syria. And the Canadian Ambassador would relay questions and answers to and from the torturers.

Ironically, despite the Canadian government’s involvement, no one was able to spot the fact that the ‘map’ of Tunney’s Pasture (a collection of federal government buildings) that Amalki had in his possession and was thus being tortured for, was a handout given to people who had to find specific buildings there.

In the past, I’ve had to do work in Tunney’s Pasture; I would have appreciated a map like that one the first time I was there. Bastards!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.