Spies, Lies and Realpolitik

Not quite sure where I’m going with this yet.

7 Likes

The Viking Snowden: Denmark spy chief ‘relieved of duty’ after whistleblower reveals illegal snooping on citizens

Denmark’s top foreign intelligence chief has been suspended for spying on Danish citizens illegally for up to six years after a whistleblower released a trove of documents to government regulators.

11 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes

If I am interpreting the situation correctly, I don’t really understand how he can be upset that the US had grown too dominant in the world, and yet do what he did. If he had been giving information about the US’s actions against Russia directly, maybe, but he was stationed in ex-Soviet countries.

Really what he would be doing, is just helping one imperialist nation’s effort to seize another imperialist nation’s advantage in those small countries. Morally, it seems not an ounce better to screw over Azerbaijan to the Russians, instead of the US.

The satellite vs satellite warfare is really scary. We’ve been warned so often that the crowded Earth orbit has the potential of becoming a wall if we were to start a chain reaction of satellites crashing into one another. If we start using destroying each other’s satellites, it may mess up space exploration for a long time to come.

I don’t think he really thought this through, at least not regarding any political motivation. It seems to me that he had the odd chip on his shoulder and stumbled into doing something stupid. Not unusual.

3 Likes

Huawei mobile mast installed next to secret MI5 data centre in London has 7 years to do whatever it is Huawei does

A Huawei phone mast is to be installed next to a secret MI5 data centre, despite government directives to strip the Chinese company’s equipment from UK mobile networks in the next seven years.

The mobile mast is to be built at a West London location across the road from a Security Service bit barn – no more than 30 yards away – and the base station powering the mast is made by Huawei.

News of the eye-popping erection was broken by the excellent Secret Bases website, whose author, Alan Turnbull, described the new mast’s location as “astonishing”.

2 Likes

It’s always been interesting to me how a secret service puts their presence so “out there” to begin with. I guess Langley is known, but most people in America couldn’t place it, and certainly wouldn’t recognize it, other than maybe the crypto-sculpture.

In GB, they wedge-in intelligence headquarters right in the midst of everything. They have properties throughout the country, why make such assets so accessible? Thames house for MI-5 is not as flashy, I guess, but I mean, River House?

3 Likes

Legoland wasn’t commissioned by Her Majesty’s Government but developed privately as a scheme of office blocks (albeit with having in mind to sell or lease it to a government agency, but probably not the SIS).
This was about the time when the NAO deemed Century House “irredeemably insecure”.
So HMG was in the market for an office block, and Thatcher bought the development. I suppose a vital factor was that it wasn’t actually built yet as such which means certain modifications (that, say, The Ministry of Fun wouldn’t require) could still be made.
It also coincided with the end of The Cold WarTM and the shift towards The War on TERRORTM which also resulted in a sort of rebranding of the SIS from “there is no such thing, move along” to “your friendly neighbourhood TLA wot protects you against Johnny Foreigner”. Also, to some extent, New LabourTM.

Meanwhile back in the colonies:
images (3)

The George Bush Center for Intelligence is the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency.
Not to be confused with the first CIA.

6 Likes

If only the latter had been more influential in world events than the former…

3 Likes

Well, there’s also the factor that the CSE had to face in Canada, which was they were a bit of a miserable spot to work. They built a lovely new building in an attempt to be a little less miserable.

Not sure how well that actually worked in the end…

It’s a little harder to get people to toil away in damp subterranean bases when there’s no actual shooting war going on.

2 Likes

Wow, duck ponds!

(Or is that code for something else entirely?)

2 Likes

Wow, duck ponds!

Yeah, well, hopefully the ducks aren’t carrying any Huawei tracking equipment. Goodness knows the beavers have been roped in to installing a bit of tech…

2 Likes
2 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes