Nothing on Earth can exceed the weight limit of a USPS flat rate box

USPS tells you there is a weight limit. Person investigates and confirms the limit. Not sure how this is news.

no need to be a poopy pants

24 Likes

It isn’t news and this ain’t a news site so who cares?

19 Likes

You do understand that this is not about the fact that there is a limit, but that rather:

Given the dimensions of the box and the density of the materials that could be put into said box there is no material on Earth that you could fill the box with that would exceed (or for that matter even come especially close to) the weight limit? Which is both actually very interesting and also funny because it means the weight limit is in fact irrelevant because it is impossible to exceed it.

16 Likes

Hard to believe any 75 cubic inches of elephant is less than 70 pounds but there you go. Totally mailable.

The More You Know Reaction GIF

16 Likes

Elephants seem very heavy because they have such high gravitas

14 Likes

You could fill it with Pope but still not reach the limit…

8 Likes

Note that once you return to the surface of the sun, your boxes will get the bends and you’ll probably bust the glue strip seal.

5 Likes

Not worth packaging. Just shoot it out of a cannon toward Russia.

I always wondered why the Democrats didn’t point out beloved American institutions and ask questions. “Why do Repulicans hate Christmas cards? Why do Republicans hate care packages to soldiers? Why do Republicans hate Mother’s Day cards? Are they trying to engage in a war against Christmas, Christianity, the troops and motherhood?”

6 Likes

I was having trouble picturing what 75 cubic inches looks like (having never seen a USPS box), so I calculated that if it was a sphere it would be 5.2 inches across.
That’s about the size of a shot put, which itself weighs 16lbs.

8 Likes

See? This game is awesome!!

:smiley:

8 Likes

I lift 80 lb bags of concrete at work and jeez- that weight in a small package would be perplexing.

4 Likes

Yeah, but if I filled it with my fears, anxietys and feelings of despair it would break the scale. So there!

7 Likes

I assume that you can do slightly better buying in bulk(though possibly not much better, apparently global osmium production is only around 1,000kg per year; so trying to buy ~27.9 kilograms of the stuff would likely be a market-moving event); but, based on what Sigma-Aldrich wants for a gram; the presence of a USPS flat rate box with 7.39 million dollars worth of rare metals inside would probably raise even more eyebrows than the box’s weight.

Probably the sort of shipment where you’d lean more toward the hardcore armored van shootout guy than the post office.

3 Likes

See, no one is looking to find a box worth millions in the flat-rate priority mail bin! Perfect camouflage. And now a movie-the curious postal worker trying to move the package, the venal co-worker who steals it, the buddies who enlist the friendly dogs on their routes to catch the bad guy….

3 Likes

If the limit is on weight, rather than mass, then you might find that they refuse to deliver even an empty box to addresses deep in Jupiter’s atmosphere. That’s how they get you.

On a related note, if they do go by weight, then it’s more expensive to send a weighed package from Miami to Denver than the other way round, which seems like a clear example of USPS liberal bias.

ETA on reflection, stuff might weigh less in Miami, as I think the centripetal component due to the Earth’s rotation at lower latitudes might exceed the difference in gravitational field strength. Which is a clear example of USPS pro-immigrant liberal bias

1 Like

8 Likes

I’d watch that.

1 Like

Well, I learned something…

6 Likes