Now in print: Neil Gaiman's "novelistic" book of Norse mythos

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/07/now-in-print-neil-gaimans.html

2 Likes

This reminds me. My husband really likes Norse mythology, and has nordic heritage. He has just found out that any tattoo he thought would be cool to commemorate that is currently coopted by white supremacists. He is pretty irritated by the whole thing.

14 Likes

Yeah, I’d imagine that would be a Thor subject.

23 Likes

Yea but anything Norse needs a Loki approach because of all the coopted crap that goes on.

10 Likes

At the risk of derailing a budding pun thread, here’s to the sincere hope that this new book is less tedious than American Gods was.

3 Likes

American Gods had its moments.

3 Likes

My spouse is a Lokean. She had the perfect tattoo idea which completely suits her life over the past several years, her general approach toward adversity, and current events in the world. And she can’t use it because shitheaded white supremacists have co-opted it. She’s just glad that most of them are anti-Loki since the feeling is mutual.

10 Likes

Christian here.

Your wife sounds like an awesome lady.

5 Likes

I Wodin worry about it if I were you.

12 Likes

this came at an opportune time – i loved American Gods, and yesterday i was looking for something new to read and saw this. preordered it for kindle and boom, it’s waiting for me tonight. can’t wait.

9 Likes

Hey, I feel for your husband. I like fedoras and have been wearing one since a lot of the gamergater types were in their diapers. Strangely, I also know that it’s not about ethics in journalism. I’ll be damned though if they get to take my hat. My head gets cold and I like the fit.

Coopting can be a two-way street too. This guy lived his life trying to reappropriate the swastika from idiots:

http://www.spiritualpunx.com/blog/2014/10/15/manwoman-day-2014

(Scroll down in article to see his tats)

He was a local icon and a sweet human being by all accounts I heard.

6 Likes

Yup! Pre-ordered this ages ago and then kinda forgot about it. Got the notification yesterday that it shipped, so now I’m just waiting around for the mail. Should be arriving with a Squirrel Girl YA novel which I also pre-ordered, so that’s cool.

I like pre-ordering from Amazon. It’s like giving your future self a present and you can often get a pretty good price, since you get whatever the lowest price is between when you order and when it’s released.

2 Likes

Oh, is this going to be a Frigga pun thread?

9 Likes

How about a tattoo of Idris Elba as Heimdall? That was the cause of so much butthurt amongst certain groups when the first Thor movie was released.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, I think some white supremacists have long used Norse mythological symbols and have been fascinated by pre-Christian mythologies from Nordic and Celtic peoples. It’s bulllshit on their part and always has been. [ETA] I too, feel for your hubby. [quote=“plc, post:14, topic:94543”]
How about a tattoo of Idris Elba as Heimdall?
[/quote]

I love this.

9 Likes

12 Likes

The thread will Freya soon enough.

7 Likes

Then we’ll have to Nott it back together.

8 Likes

I’m not wrong. It’s an alternate fact, is all.

9 Likes

In all alternate realities you’d still be wrong.

5 Likes