Now that's a real doozy!

Originally published at: Now that's a real doozy! | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Those were the days.

13 Likes

If anyone is a fan of this era of cars up to about the 60s or so, this car museum in Southwestern Michigan is amazing.

12 Likes

Been there and was blown away, I’d wash & wax every auto in that place for free.

8 Likes

Our old LaSalle ran great.

5 Likes

Another must-visit is the Auburn Cord Duesenberg near Ft Wayne Indiana. It’s in the original gorgeous deco company building

My then-8-year-old daughter wandered around in a joyous daze for hours in this place. Some of those Cords are just badass -

17 Likes

One of these showed up at a parking lot car show in Tucson in the seventies. I remember that the engine was huge compared to anything else I’d seen. There really is no substitute for cubic inches (in this case, supercharged cubic inches).

6 Likes

These look beautiful. Still, the spokes on some classic cars remind me of Isadora Duncan.

10 Likes

Here’s a Model J, which had belonged to Doris Duke’s fam - a slideshow:

1 Like

That story when told usually exchanges the Amilcar for a Bugatti for some reason

4 Likes

I had a ride in one of these, bodied as a speedster, in the 1960s. It was a beautiful car, seemed to be from a strange and distant time. Now, I don’t think a ride in a thirty year old car would attract too much attention :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sure the manual will indicate which lever is the velocitator and which the deceleratrix.

4 Likes

Glamour factor, possibly. And Bugatti is more widely known than Amilcar. I’ve also heard versions where it was a Mercedes or a Rolls-Royce motorcar.

(The first time I came across the name Amilcar was in Peter Ustinov’s memoirs. Apparently young Peter had a phase where he pretended to be an Amilcar all day long from getting up to going to sleep. Now that’s showing style from early on.)

5 Likes

Ha, that explains “The Grand Prix of Gibraltar” I guess. Listened to that more than once when I was a boy; we also had an LP record of sports cars revving their engines at Riverside. There was a low bar for entertainment in those days :wink: ( I don’t mean the Ustinov piece, although I haven’t listened to it since the sixties; maybe it would be hard to listen to now. I do, however, when confronted by an unusual car at a car show, still ask if it has the “Fanfani V-16” in it. )

4 Likes

Oh that dropped me into a rabbit hole… but one of the things I found is this:

(cued)

2 Likes

I heard him telling this in an interview. Thank you for reminding me. It made my day back then. Made me smile now.

I’m getting old.

Oh, great. Thanks. Downside: Now I long for YT premium to listen to Sir Peter without having to have my screen on.

2 Likes

Jay Leno owns a couple of Duesenbergs, and has done some nice videos explaining the cars, their various accoutrements, features and quirks:

3 Likes

It was recently being read on BBC Radio 4 Extra, but does not appear to be available on Sounds.

1 Like

Is that waxing lyrical?

I had this book as a youngster:

I think that’s a doozy on the upper left?

Around that same age, I had a Hot Wheels Duesenberg, and also noticed during Wacky Races & Perils of Penelope Pitstop re-runs that the Ant Hill Mob’s car looked a lot like a Duesenberg.