Nowlan Family Trust attempts to stop George Clooney's 'Buck Rogers'

Nowlan’s Armageddon 2419 was first published in the August 1929 issue of Amazing Stories, right along with E. E. Smith’s first work, “The Skylark of Space.”

1 Like

The reboot nobody is asking for starring an actor who’s clearly too old for the role. Can’t wait to see it.

5 Likes

Can’t have Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon? Dan Dare’s just your man, what? Not so much of this copyright legal nonsense in Blighty, y’know.

4 Likes

Remember how quaint it was when infinite copyright was the Big Bad of our modern dystopia …

Kind of like the Hostess Cupcake ads of capitalist villainy

1 Like

Why settle for Buck Rogers when we could be sailing the stars with SPURT HAMMOND???

spurt1

https://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/stupidcomics75.html

6 Likes

I looked at the art and the web site name, and I thought “That’s a really well executed spoof.”

Spoiler: IT’S NOT A SPOOF.

I am speechless.

6 Likes

I thought he was auditioning for the Fifth Element remake as Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zor?

1 Like

That’s a great call.

5 Likes

I had the collected reprints growing up. Kids today are going to love the retro-racist fisticuffs and the casual sexism.

ETA that they’ll also dig the stylish outfits!

Speedo battle suits! Jodhpurs! Woo!

4 Likes

I think this is why Disney’s John Carter did so badly at the box office, despite the fact that it was actually pretty good.

It held onto the old-fashioned vibe of the original Burroughs stories (minus some of the very problematic social aspects), and that’s a turnoff for some modern viewers.

7 Likes

Spurt Hammond certainly looks like a good choice for a new Flesh Gordon type film.

7 Likes

The last Flash Gordon reboot was 2007. Hollywood loves to rework existing material. Buck has more legal drama, I think, or we probably would have seen another Buck project between the 80s and now.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the 80 series, but my brain doesn’t remember much more than Erin Gray.

Why hasn’t anyone adapted Fletcher Hanks stories? They’re perfect for today’s audience.

7 Likes

Man, I must have missed that one, because I don’t recall a 2007 reboot. Heading off to look it up now and see if it jogs my memory.

Update: Ah, Sci-Fi channel. Never had it, so was never aware of the shows on it. I finally got around to watching Eureka and Warehouse 13 in the past year or so (silly fun shows).

1 Like

If only we were Blessed with another such revival.

blessed

8 Likes

It was…not good.

1 Like

I really enjoyed it too! I was surprised how badly it tanked but i also think people considered it derivative of things that had gone before which is ironic considering it pre-dates all of it. There’s no getting away from the fact the stories have a very troubling white saviour narrative which is somewhat toned down in the film i thought, but i do seem to remember that book Dejah Thoris is portrayed as quite a competent character with some agency. She’s better written than many women in science fiction novels (if they even have any) from the golden age.

1 Like

I would pay all the moneys to see Stardust or Fantomah on the big screen, perhaps in an Avengers-style teamup.

2 Likes

Same here. And the books you referenced are awesome. The movie would work best by having Paul Karasik going to interview Fletcher Hanks jr and then going into the world of Stardust and Fantomah.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.