It's the mighty Flash

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/26/its-the-mighty-flash.html

2 Likes

It’s sincerely amazing… and yet it’s so…weird. It always sounded more like little bits of an unfinished song to me. Also this is kinda making me want a well made Flash Gordon movie now. If they can make captain America and dr strange look cool and not cheesy I feel like they could do the same for Flash Gordon, right?? We have the technology!

8 Likes

Pop culture historians will tell you that the Flash Gordon character was just a transparent rip-off of Buck Rogers, but Buck never got a theme song from Queen.

26 Likes

I love this movie. Pure camp fun. Great cast, amazing sets and costumes, goofy comic book dialog what else can you want?

22 Likes

Oddly apropos, since we watched Bohemian Rhapsody earlier this evening.

Sometimes a forgettable movie can be rescued by a great soundtrack. And sometimes a terrific soundtrack is the only redeeming aspect of an otherwise awful waste of film. I have always felt that Queen’s work on Flash Gordon falls into the latter category.

6 Likes

Uh, we already had a well made Flash movie. Did you forget?tumblr_nky2pqdxIW1tdkro1o2_500

46 Likes

I just realized I had mixed those characters up in my head… crazy. How did I never realize that. Yeah I’m my first comment up there I was totally imagining a modern film with tasteful interpretations of buck Rodgers imagery and special effects.

3 Likes

You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

25 Likes
15 Likes

I’d been reading rumors about attempts to do a new Buck Rogers movie for a while, and looked it up to see what the status was. Bad news - apparently it’s tied up in legal issues, as the heirs of the creator realized they had the rights to the 80-year-old IP and its not-quite-copyright-orphaned status meaning that the guy who was trying to make the movie can’t. (And the people who have the rights seemingly don’t know what to do with them.) So… maybe in another 15 years when it’s free and clear of copyright (and then it will just be the heirs asserting trademarks that block it getting made…).

Meanwhile a Flash Gordon movie is apparently moving ahead…

3 Likes

12 Likes

20 Likes

True enough. But we do not have Freddy.

6 Likes

Best character in the movie by far

20 Likes

We’re in the minority, but I do agree with you. I found its attempt at campy parody to be painful to watch, it didn’t land where it was aiming to go. Only the Queen soundtrack saved it for me in any meaningful way. That, and Sam J. Jones showing up in the first Ted movie playing a partying version of himself.

1 Like

Do you have to remind us?
Its still hurts, even almost 30 years later.

But thank you jlw for reminding me in how much I love that song. And how much I love that movie, which is IMO one of the best awfull movies ever.

6 Likes

Timothy Dalton (the best James Bond in the worst Bond movies) getting in on the Sean Bean act.

7 Likes

Here in Austin we now have a Spiderman. I’ve seen him twice now. Guy just wanders around downtown in a full Spiderman costume for gawd nose what reason. But in order to really pull this off, you have to have one hell of an excellent costume and one fucking hell of a bod and this guy has it in spades. Last time I saw him, he was by the convention center which has a lot of interactive screens outside mostly for advertising said center and Austin itself, but you can draw on them, leave notes and play various games. I live next to it and passed the guy playing one of the games. I slowed down to see what he was playing and, of course, it was Spida-Man :slight_smile: I adore this town

2 Likes

It’s a pity that the comic-book movie trend came too late for Brian Blessed (yes, I know he is still somewhat active in his 80s but in less physically demanding parts). He would have made an excellent Thor.

4 Likes

Let’s also note that it was recently suggested that climbing Everest can result in brain damage, even in those who showed no sign of altitude sickness.

Lack of oxygen can directly damage brain cells. … But one of the sobering things about the Fayed study is that even when climbers showed no signs of acute sickness, the scans still found brain damage . The results in the Everest climbers were the starkest.

(Above is from a Google summary of a link to a Scientific American page not currently available. There are plenty of other sources, I’m sure, if anyone wants to know more.)

Brian Blessed has attempted to climb Everest without oxygen three times, according to his Wikipedia entry.

And he advocates that others must do the same.

In the UK he is well known as a ‘larger than life’ character. Others think he is a nutter. Now we have some explanation.

7 Likes