NRA reportedly looted by its famous faces and in deep financial trouble

They’re the fire arms lobby. You can get the same effect by referring to them as such.

Lobbyist Wayne LaPierre.

Without undermining unions.

2 Likes

Nah, right wingers don’t hate all lobbies.

You can totally do it without undermining unions.

"Hey, Wayne, despite our differences, I have to say your gun union really shows how much political power people can have through collective action.
“It’s not a union. It’s a member’s association.”
“Whatever you call it, you really punch above your weight, on an issue where everybody hates you, by organizing your members, recruiting them, and speaking on their behalf. It just shows how effective unions are, I guess.”

Win-win no matter what.

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about how they are basically using the spreading fear part of their business, not to control people, but to cover up their theft, and how deeply that relies on us buying into the idea that people are basically bad, not to be trusted, etc. We think you can control people by spreading fear, therefore we don’t question that the NRA is raking in big donations by spreading fear, therefore the leaders get to keep pocketing money by pretending that spreading fear is useful.

And there’s a meritocracy myth built in there too. The idea that the leaders want the organization to make money because that’s how they make money. If we accept that the organization’s fortune and the fortune of the leaders are entwined then we think they wouldn’t spread fear unless it was helping the organization.

But really they are just thieves. They need a loud bang in the other so they can grab the money and run. They are no where they are because of merit, they are where they are because thieves collude with one another… They don’t spread fear because that helps the organization, they spread fear because it is distracting.

11 Likes

It’s fascinating how this mirrors the megachurches and their extremely rich ministers.

9 Likes

It’s just the latest cowardly attack by the commie-pinko-progressive-liberal-baby-eating-media-fuelled-conspiracy.
Proud regressives need to support the NRA and take action!

1 Like

I read “feces”.

3 Likes

So the NRA now devotes its funds towards (a)paying the big shots, and (b)raising more money. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Another fine, upstanding organization following a tried-and-true 'Murican business model.

1 Like

For the same reason the ACLU, NAACP, or any other 501( c) nonprofit corporation is tax exempt.

1 Like

It’s not surprising the right is chock full of hucksters. There’s a reason most of the advertisers on Fox for a long time have been cash for gold and survival bunker related. Most of your major right wing pundits have supplement brands, instant survival food brands, or gold bug and junk bond “investments” to flog.

4 Likes

*sighs

I guess I should have noted that I was being rhetorical; not genuinely asking for an answer.

That said, what an utterly shitty society we have that the fucking NRA is somehow considered on par with the ACLU or the NAACP.

They’re about as “nonprofit” as I am a freakin’ saint.

I’m done with this thread now, before I end rupturing something.

15 Likes

Follow the money

5 Likes

Oooh! I’ve seen this one! It’s the corporate training video where the most corrupt VP of Sales goes over the anti-corruption training. Or is it the one where the handsy VP of Marketing goes over sexual harassment? I get those confused.

7 Likes

Hmm. The Russians and American far right have been playing ends of the echo chamber of Islamophobia and anti-refugees for each other since 2013 or so.

John Bolton, as chairman of the Gatestone Institute, had a key position on the American side. There’s no need that they were coordinating each other, but… hm.

4 Likes

If you believe the rightwing gun nuts on Reddit, many of them seem to have already abandoned the NRA for other gun rights advocacy groups, like the Gun Owners of America and the Second Amendment Foundation. There was a lot of angst vented towards the NRA when it advocated for the banning of bump stocks.

2 Likes

4 Likes

The common tenor here is that it is nigh impossible to feel sympathy for grifters who themselves get conned. I would not be surprised to learn that the famous faces were each planning to legally rob the NRA all along.

The chances of it actually happening are slim, but it is possible that they killed this goose. Milked the cash cow too much. Strip-mined the mountain they live on. Whatever metaphor, mixed or not, works for non-sustainable extraction of resources works for you.

4 Likes

7e3

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.