NRA reportedly looted by its famous faces and in deep financial trouble

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/18/nra-reportedly-looted-by-its-f.html

12 Likes

There’s been several articles recently exploring how their ad agency, Ackerman McQuinn, transformed the company and their brand over the past few years into a propaganda factory, pushing them hard into making NRA TV the cornerstone of their communications, and how most of the company’s spending now is on hate-driven PR video media. And how apparently even Wayne LaPierre is worried about the fact that an ad agency is basically controlling the company.

29 Likes

I’m having a hard time mustering any sympathy.

33 Likes

22 Likes

Obviously they figured out that promoting paranoia was where the money was. The more people are scared their guns are going to go away, the more guns they buy, and the more guns they buy the more money the gun manufacturers can donate to the NRA. PLUS, now they can claim their tax-exempt status being revoked is part of the larger conspiracy.

I’m most curious as to how NRA members will take the numbers here, where the money goes, etc. Will they deny it or be pissed off?

14 Likes

Thought process of ammosexuals: NRA tax exempt status revoked = deep state.

15 Likes

The rank-and-file members are life-long suckers who’ve spent years paying dues to an industry lobbying group. They’ll either double-down on their support or go silent (as some of the ammosexuals here have in recent topics about this scumbag organisation).

27 Likes

Well, shoot.

32 Likes

When have they ever accepted as true something inconvenient to them?

16 Likes

Economic Research Institute’s National Rifle Association Of America page with snapshot and Form 990s.

That … has to be some serious looting going on!

10 Likes

I feel that some will, most probably won’t. I am really trying to be aware of how much I generalize groups of people, even NRA members. That attempt on my part excludes Nazis and white nationalists… fuck them, one and all… and yes, I know, a good chunk of them are members of the NRA, but not all members of the NRA are Nazis and white nationalists. Yet.

I often wonder how my father – a long-time, if not lifelong, member of the NRA – would have taken the shift in their message. He was not a stupid man.

13 Likes

There must be some mistake - the NRA couldn’t be dishonest!

4 Likes

Unfortunately, this is all too likely to be true. Too much money ruins everything. Any time there’s a chance of someone corrupting an organization/system for their own personal gain, the scum WILL crawl out of the woodwork. Hell, look at MADD. Even the woman who founded the organization has broken off contact and disavowed it, because it was taken over by dirtbags who just want it as a way of siphoning money from gullible donors into their own pockets. The Goodwill organization has been taken over by grifters who run it for their own profit. Money may not be the root of all evil but it sure as hell is a guarantee of good intentions being hijacked by con men.

16 Likes

At least as much as the air travel industry, where ALL the major infrasctucture costs are paid by the public through bond issues and tax breaks, but a 1-cent increase in the price of fuel is supposedly a life-threatening crisis.

6 Likes

tumblr_m6ueo5BlJH1r4u9wdo1_400

29 Likes

True enough, but then this a segment of society that is always bitching about how their tax dollars are spent, they may not be happy with NRA bigwigs enriching themselves and their friends with their membership money.

6 Likes

You scared me for a second. I misread the headline as NBA.

11 Likes

The shift in their message took place in the 60’s and 70’s. My grandfather and great uncles, all life long members, resigned back then in protest of the gun nut take over.

Given news like this it’s pretty hard to buy that anyone hasn’t noticed what the NRA has become. So those who are still members are either excited to support a political lobby group. Or have buried their heads in the sand. Noone likes to admit they’ve been conned. And the “we’re a sporting organization” claims are how this con works.

Given that polls of members using neutral language tend to show the bulk of their member base are in pretty hard disagreement with the central organization. It seems that there are a lot of people doing that. I keep wondering what it’s gonna take to cause those people to break off. Maybe confirmation they’re being ripped off will do it.

12 Likes

feel sorry for the people they duped into donating. Have you ever gotten a call from them? Heard their sales pitch? It is rife with the language of fox news.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought it of an organization with such high ethical standards.

5 Likes