NSA contractor Harold Thomas Martin to face espionage charges over 50TB of "stolen code"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/20/nsa-contractor-harold-thomas-m.html

3 Likes

Espionage. How does it work?

Or…When Espionage Bites Back

/s

5 Likes

50TB of data or 50TB of code?

15 Likes

Stolen? or copied?

9 Likes

All of the code written in human history would not yield 50TB.

12 Likes

“The amount of stolen data is estimated to be at least fifty terabytes, enough to fill dozens of hard drives,” prosecutors said

Or one 50TB hard drive.

10 Likes

Just go back to the beginning of recorded knowledge and insert a /*

3 Likes

It would be useful to know what he did with the data. Using it to expose government malfeasance: hero. Selling it to corporations or another country: traitorous slime.

I wonder why the Beast felt it necessary to discuss the PhD program partnership. This is a big perk of working for the NSA, though back when I was being recruited by the Agency the major cooperating university was Johns Hopkins. Also, I thought this was a perk available to actual NSA employees, not just to contractors - unless the arrangement was between Booz and UMBC, not the NSA.

5 Likes

Comments back then probably consisted of some weird characters that don’t even exist in Unicode.

3 Likes

How does “dozens of hard drives” convey any sense of scale? I could make that hundreds.

7 Likes

NSA job fair coming to a community near you, soon.

1 Like

On nearly a trillion punch cards!

11 Likes

Pretty soon it will be enough to fill half a hard drive!

6 Likes

Guess we know how the NSA pays their software contractors: SLOC

3 Likes

been shopping for hard drives recently?Wait a few years.

2 Likes

Or If you used one megabyte drives, you could fill fifty million hard drives. Or ~thirty six million 1.4 MB floppies.

4 Likes

Lookie! It’s my paperweight! Dad spent $750 thirty years ago on it, and people asked what he needed so much space for; 1275 MB was so much space! :smile:

7 Likes

How many eight inch floppies?

In May 2016 the United States Government Accountability Office released a document that covered the need to upgrade or replace legacy computer systems within Federal Agencies. According to this document, there is still a Series/1 that “Coordinates the operational functions of the United States’ nuclear forces, such as intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers, and tanker support aircraft.” This system still uses 8-inch floppy disks, however the agency plans to update some of the technology by the end of the 2017 fiscal year.[1]

3 Likes

all of them!

9 Likes

“If convicted, Martin faces a maximum sentence of one year in prison for the unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials”

He can cite the Hillary precedent.

3 Likes