Former NSA contractor Harold Martin pleads guilty to 'willful retention of national defense information'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/28/nsa-ex-contractor-harold-marti.html

5 Likes

Big NSA news day.

4 Likes

So, his only crime is carelessness? He didn’t undermine a fair election at the behest of a hostile foreign power?

6 Likes

That wouldn’t have gotten him jail time.

7 Likes

Unless he was a Person of Color, Muslim, or Trans, that is; they never seem to have a problem imprisoning folks who are “Other.”

8 Likes

hahahahahahahaha no the amount of classified material he kept at home goes far beyond carelessness. The total size is measured in terabytes, with an undisclosed amount of it classified.

4 Likes

Yeah, I expect this is a plea accepted by the government so they don’t have to risk spilling sensitive/embarrassing information at trial.

4 Likes

The bigger crime was using the word cyber on linkedin

4 Likes

Alternatively they haven’t decided if the guy is just a hoarder or not and I’m guessing since they didn’t find any intentional release, they’re not going to slam him.

He wouldn’t even have been the first hoarder.

2 Likes

At least he’s not a whistleblower, they’d have him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life if he did that.

4 Likes

That alone does not preclude mere carelessness. I’ve got a couple terabyte-plus sized drives that I carry in my backpack. Leaving them laying around would be an easy mistake.

1 Like

** cough ** Patraeus ** cough **

1 Like

Interesting that they call themselves a “security” agency, given the tidal waves of material they let out the door.

2 Likes

But the Trump and Clinton emails?

Yeah you wouldn’t carry terabyte-sized hard drives into a classified site, copy classified data onto them, and then take them out. That’s not carelessness.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.