Nuclear War Survival Skills (PDF)

That’s why I bought a generator–so that I can run my crockpot after the lights go out.

First we will come for our neighbors’ chickens.
Then we will come for our neighbors’ dogs.
Then we will come for our neighbors.

4 Likes

On the Beach was on TCM last week. Couldn’t help it.

2 Likes

We’re never more then 45 minutes from nuclear annihilation. Only a few days ago we mourned the passing of a mid-level Soviet officer who prevented nuclear war.

The list of nuclear close calls is appalling.

4 Likes

An air burst of a possibly dirty thermonuclear missile over the Pacific North of Japan would have the radioactive cloud drift merrily along the path of the Japanese Current, which leads directly to my home plus Seattle below me and the Alaskan coastline above me. Given the types of radiation and altitude the burst may generate at, it still scares me shitless.

3 Likes

Chemical weapons too. (NK is the probable supplier to Syria.)

3 Likes

There is a part in the new PBS series on the Vietnam War where they show Prez Kennedy discussing a “new” type of war…meaning, basically: small, dirty, “guerrilla” style. I’ve always though that (and I’m sure someone has written about this) since the advent of nuke proliferation, this is the type of war that the world will primarily be engaged in going forward…until that one time it gets way too far out of hand, of course.

Thanks for nothing; I was already depressed enough! :sob:

2 Likes

This is why the US military and intelligence community is full of Special Forces. They are essentially guerrilla forces inserted into another country to wage asymmetric war on opponents of 'Murica.

3 Likes

I’ve got some tin foil I can tape up on the windows - that should handle the fallout. And I still remember my childhood duck and cover drills.

Tin foil. Drill prep. Candle in the silverware drawer. My prepper list is complete.

Actually- the say if you’re in the middle of a building with 6-7 floors above you and similarly below - you’re fairly well protected from fallout if you get to the middle of the building. I choose to believe this.

1 Like

Except the HVAC system will suck the dirty air into the entire structure…

2 Likes

Hot water radiators - separate ac units - turn them off.

2 Likes

Username check out then…

2 Likes

Agreed. And there’s likely a “dead man” trigger that will annihilate any cities within reach of their advanced weapons were he and his cadre to be “surgically removed”.

Me too. Kim may very well be a deranged, infantile and reactionary fool whose self-destructive nature is lost on him, but we can only really speculate. Unfortunately, we know Trump is.

2 Likes

Really? So you don’t count the fallout across Wales that made the sheep glow in the dark for several years?

1 Like

It can be easy ridicule however Cresson was a significant American scientist who worked on this for Oak Ridge but also on personal survival gear for the army and jungle fighting. He would self experiment in the style of Gar Pask with his survival gear.

Cresson actually built and tested the shelters and equipment in his book, unlike the fanciful ideas in the British “Protect and Survive” pamphlet and soviet resources. He identified shelter ventilation as the biggest risk to sheltering groups and created and tested simple way to move air in a shelter.

He paid families to test the instructions - given written instructions, how quickly could they pack, remove themselves from a city area and create a shelter. He tested on himself and family expedient clothing and heating ideas.

He released his book free of copyright to be shared, an early creative commons release.

This is an presentation his daughter gave about her father:

3 Likes

You know given the publisher is in Cave Junction, I think they focused more on caves.

1 Like

I don’t want to misrepresent myself. It’s not as if we would eat all the livestock and pets and people in one day. You have to pace yourself, you know? Moderation is key.

4 Likes

Truly, a bad time to be in L.A., since that’s the most western major target. A worse time to be in South Korea or Japan…

Bugger the whisky. Magic mushrooms and good elevated viewing spot to watch the fireball.

4 Likes

The great circle route is over the Aleutians, so Portland and Seattle are a little closer.

Anchorage is a LOT closer.

1 Like