Nukes and Nuke Accessories

4 Likes

Suspected radiation alert saboteurs cuffed by cops after sensors disabled

5 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Slavutych was briefly occupied in March. For some reason the report doesn’t mention it.

4 Likes
6 Likes

After more than 50 years, molten salt nuclear reactors might be making a comeback. The US Department of Energy (DoE) has tapped Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) to lead a $9.25 million study into the structural properties and materials necessary to build them at scale.

[…]

This isn’t the first time the DoE has explored this reactor tech. In the middle of last century, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) took the lessons learned from the Aircraft Reactor experiment to build a functional nuclear aircraft power source and began construction of a molten salt test reactor.

The experiments, conducted between 1957 and 1969, utilized a mixture of lithium, beryllium, zirconium, and uranium fluoride salts. Cooling was also achieved using a fluoride salt mixture, but it lacked the uranium and zirconium found in the fuel.

[…]

6 Likes

[…]

The BT contract is only one of a number being let by Sellafield Ltd as it pursues a multi-supplier model. The network will not be dealing with toxic waste, unless one counts the interminable Teams and Skype conferences it is expected to host.

5 Likes

BT and Sellafield?

I’m moving to New Zealand.

7 Likes

Oh come on, what’s the worst that can happen…

4 Likes

The worst?

I’m imagining Cthulhu coming out of the Irish sea.

I’m still forbidden from talking about Sellafield at family gatherings, even though my uncle has retired from his job there.

7 Likes

And here I thought it was perfectly safe once they had renamed it.

6 Likes

I blame Richard Burton.

4 Likes

Re-watched it the other day. Has aged quite well, I think. But that might be Lino Ventura’s fault.

3 Likes
9 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes