Nukes and Nuke Accessories

Nuclear fallout from Ukraine? Another opportunity to re-live my halcyon days of youth!

7 Likes

The odds are, they don’t actually have protective suits (possibly because they were sold on the black market long ago); or, if they have, the suits are worthless (again, corruption, incompetence, and nobody giving a shit), and the troops don’t know how to use them.

4 Likes

Even if they have protective suits, there is a limit to how much radiation the suits can block without weighing a ton. It’s the difference between a fatal dose in an hour versus a fatal dose in 90 minutes.

7 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

Apropos of nothing, US intel wants to improve low-dose radiation detection

[…]

The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) announced the start of Targeted Evaluation of Ionizing Radiation Exposure (TEI-REX) on Friday, which will look for non-invasive methods of determining radiation exposure in low doses through samples including hair, skin, sweat, and saliva.

In its technical explanation [PDF] of the program, IARPA said current methods of collecting biodosimetry data, which looks at the effects of radiation on human or animal tissue, have a number of issues: it can require invasive samples, such as blood; multiple collections are often required; there’s a time limit for getting an accurate reading; the markers used to calculate doses are transient; and there’s a wide standard deviation of dose calculations for low-dose exposure.

[…]

6 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

… seems like they could include a dosimeter in every mobile phone if they’re that concerned :radioactive:

4 Likes

That programme is not about what you can do with a mere dosimeter as such. They go far beyond that. It’s actually quite interesting. And rather more biology than physics. There is a short paper linked in the article that gives a good overview.

3 Likes

… using our bodies as dosimeters :grimacing:

1 Like

A list of weapons Putin could use.

1 Like

Is that chart true? The US has only non self propelled nuclear warheads outside of ICBMs? Strikes me as odd but I don’t know anything.
ETA
The graphice go beyond one screen on my phone or I’d cut them.

I might try to cut the second one in two.

4 Likes

(Archived)

2 Likes