Nukes and Nuke Accessories

7 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

5 Likes

The impression one gets from reading this news is that the Russian armed forces do not give a damn about the welfare of their own troops.

8 Likes

high quality remake GIF

4 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

Microsoft signs up to buy electricity produced by fusion, perhaps in 2028

Sounds maybe just a tad overly optimistic to me…

4 Likes

Good grief, Microsoft, what are you even doing.

All the press that fusion research gets is frankly a bit harmful. It’s terrific and we must absolutely pour tons of money into said research, but anything practical is still probably a century away.

Meanwhile the press makes people think it’s a magic bullet to solve climate change. It distracts people from what we should be doing- building renewables, grid storage, grid upgrades, and base load nuclear as fast as we goddam can.

Fusion is the new “carbon capture” is the new “geoengineering”. Whiz-bang tech that means we don’t have to do anything and the problem will go away!

6 Likes

Oh, I’m entirely confident that by 2028 we will be able to buy NFTs of fusion energy.

7 Likes

It’s odd. I saw a paper written not about Cold Fusion Lattice Energy but about a clinically insane professor of mathematics who, among all his generally unstable output, had this brilliant insight into crystal structure that might be the answer to why the phenomenon is so ephemeral. I don’t pretend to understand the insight, neither did the paper’s author, but it had that spark about it that begs someone else try to understand and evaluate it. I do have to doubt whether our current political and commercial situation is up to actually finding a solution.

5 Likes

Follow-up:

4 Likes

18 years to build… Months to run…

5 Likes
3 Likes

Follow-up:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Jesus Christ

3 Likes

Ooh! I’ve always wanted one! If Vovochka is giving them away now, maybe I should put him back on the Christmas list after all?

Alexander Grigoryevich, you big dummy. Having stored nukes by someone else in your country is not the same as actually having nukes, let alone having any control over them.

7 Likes