NY Times headline from 2025 "America's emerging dictatorship has liberals on edge. But for some, the stability and absence of hard choices is a welcome change."

“But it can’t happen here…”, which will follow in part on “It’s just a midterm election. Why should I bother voting?”

Nothing about the scenario laid out here is implausible. Especially if the GOP wins both chambers in a little over a week from now.

I think that’s a little joke at the expense of the NYT, which already regularly bends over backwards with “Nazi Next Door” type pieces to show that not everything about the fascists is bad.

Up until starting his stupid war, Putin didn’t exert complete dictatorial control of the press. As long as the outlets didn’t go too far in upsetting the tacit deal between the regime and the people (“you stay out of our private lives and we’ll let you rob us blind”), Putin allowed them along with the sham opposition in the rubber-stamp parliament and the pretense of an independent judiciary. The GOP, of course, is using all that as a blueprint for their own prospective one-party dictatorship.

Dropped my ballot off today. If I took the time to vote in a state where the majority is almost guaranteed to agree with me on offices like governor, Senator and Rep. then someone in a swing state who has the same level of opportunity to do so has no excuse to blow it off (which brings us back to the beginning of this comment).

15 Likes