NYC driver plows car into BLM protestors

well they did break some windows :thinking:

well okay, somebody broke some windows and it could have been blm activists. when it wasn’t the cops

oh yeah, and they spray painted some stuff. so it’s like totally the same as trying to hurt and maim people

10 Likes

Really glad nobody was killed. NBC New York story says no life-threatening injuries.

According to said story, the LEOs said it was a pair of women in the car who panicked and hit the pedal. They said that protesters surrounded the car and banged on the windows, prompting said panic, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that part (or to be fair, of who was in the car, but that would be really hard to lie about for long).

Source: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/car-plows-into-manhattan-protest-striking-multiple-people/2775854/

Anyone here more news-connected have any direct video of the start? I only saw the actual collision in the video I found, not what happened before.

For the record, I’m not defending/excusing their actions. Even if they were panicking, running over pedestrians is the result and this should be AT VERY LEAST numerous assault charges, probably attempted/negligent vehicular manslaughter (don’t know if that’s actually a thing).

3 Likes

Would somebody like to reconsider the “stochastic” tag here? Only someone trying to use words they don’t understand would classify this as a random act.

I’m glad nobody was killed. The video shows that they drove at an alarmingly fast rate; much faster than necessary to get away from the situation. That said, if any videos surface showing protesters banging on the car windows or trying to open the door I could see a jury possibly siding with their “we panicked” defense. I hope they’re found guilty on all counts.

5 Likes

Maligned? Or malignant?

4 Likes

The “stochastic” part refers to who commits the act, not whether the act itself is a random event. The idea is that if words come from an authority figure, using provocative language to suggest violence as a reasonable solution, some angry / frightened / armed person might answer the call.

There have been plenty of calls for protestors to be dealt with violently. Nobody knew for sure who would answer.

9 Likes

Yeah, this is what really sucks. Moved to the 'burbs recently from lib-lib Cambridge, MA area and I can’t believe how prolific the subtle racism is up here. I’m a white male and so lots of my neighbors just assume I ascribe to their philosophy and they can “wink-wink nudge-nudge” certain statements. I think after 1 1/2 years they finally get that I don’t agree with them which means much fewer friends which sucks for me but sucks more for my girls who can’t hang out with their classmates because their parents don’t want their kids associating with the lefties next door.

11 Likes

Everyone that sees that one should report to the FBI.

7 Likes

@ crankypants Or malign.

Just as well since you probably don’t want your kids hanging with the racists next door.

5 Likes

As long as people get to run over police lines if they feel like they’re in danger, too.

5 Likes

This sounds like a good thing - “friends like those” and all that.

The kids probably aren’t racist yet, so this sucks for all the kids.

6 Likes

"yet another reason to close some city streets when a large protest is happening, so people can assemble and protest without fear of being mowed down in vehicular manslaughter homicide.

1 Like

Exactly. Perhaps if tolerance was exposed at an early age we wouldn’t be in the mess we find ourselves in. Kids don’t care about skin color, just the content of your character. Someone else said something similar once…

5 Likes

Yeah, this is the “he’s coming right for us” South Park hunting excuse in vehicular form.

It ignores the context of why the vehicle is in close proximity to the protesters. You might legitimately fear for your safety after you choose to drive towards a crowd that perceives your control over a 2 ton vehicle is a threat to their safety. It’s even worse when the vehicle has been driven around barriers to get there.

6 Likes

The whole thing is based on the idea that you have the right to drive down a street full of demonstrators as if they aren’t there, because they are not allowed to stand in the road and therefore have no rights but you are allowed to drive down it.

3 Likes

Which is exactly why their parents do not want them hanging out with yours.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.