NYT report on chronic racism at Coinbase

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/27/nyt-report-on-chronic-racism-at-coinbase.html

9 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

It’s not enough to be just an asshole, either; he has to be a stupid asshole. I would be furious if I worked at this place.

15 Likes

A libertarian is a racist? Weird.

40 Likes

Yep, they’re pretty rare. Only 998 out of 1000 libertarians are racist. All the other two are ok.

23 Likes

If they’d just stop saying the quiet part loud they could continue giving oodles of cash to representatives that will say it FOR them and keep the heat off.

For people convinced of their own intelligence, they are very very dumb in very specific areas.

1 Like

a blog post ordering employees “to leave concerns for issues like racial justice at the door” or leave

For Whom the Bell Tolls
by
John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend’s were.
Each man’s death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

http://www.yourdailypoem.com/listpoem.jsp?poem_id=2118

20 Likes

This is such a dumb public position to take. It reflects very poorly on the leadership at Coinbase.

10 Likes

Coinbase? Hm, something something Bitcoin…

9 Likes

five seconds later
“We regret to inform that the other two libertarians are also racist.”

25 Likes

Sounds like they have enough to sue for discrimination :thinking:

10 Likes

“It was the first time I realized what racism felt like in the modern world,” said Layllen Sawyerr, a compliance analyst who is Black.

Uh, what? The first time? Racism is systemic, if the compliance analyst did not realize what racism felt like before, he should not be qualified to talk about it. I shudder to think how many cases went unnoticed.

2 Likes

Well, it’s an observed condition in which people embedded in the system itself don’t see the forest for the trees. Many successful people of color think it’s a bygone era… until their eyes are opened by some act.

That said, the compliance analyst said this?! Holy yikes.

7 Likes

The worst thing about tech bro CEOs is that they can convince other people that they’re right. It’s taken me several decades to come to terms with this, but the world is filled with weak willed people, and they are looking for strong willed people to latch on to. Sometimes it’s Trump. Sometimes it’s the CEO of Coinbase.

The second worse thing is that tech bro CEOs seem to think hat being right about one thing makes them right about everything, God help those without the common sense to doubt themselves.

11 Likes

Not really, they are still a pair of Libertarians.

4 Likes

For more on that theme:

6 Likes

Not surprised, it’s probably why they were hired for the job. Just like a lot of people who work in HR, firms staff that department with those who are most likely to protect the interests of the company - not the workers. That includes making the company look diverse or inclusive. Some misguided people believe those positions protect them from being treated like everyone else, until the policies or toxic work environment affect them, too.

5 Likes

This is what makes their sexism, racism, anti-LGBTQIA+ bigotry, and classism much worse - they have followers and fans. What worries me more than their lack of self-doubt is their inability to give others the benefit of the doubt. Anyone not like them is considered to be an “other” - a lesser being in their world, to be treated accordingly.

9 Likes

SHOCKED, SHOCKED

that people who run gambling and pyramid-scheme sites are also shitty in other ways

9 Likes

Thanks, here I was all sure it was that news site Coindesk.

1 Like

Obligatory xkcd reference:

14 Likes