NYT report on chronic racism at Coinbase

If I could just REMIND you that there is a TESLA in SPACE!!!

2 Likes

Let me know when Musk and others like him take turns driving it. That would be impressive, and cause for celebration here on Earth.

4 Likes

Also: I got everything I have because of sheer brains and willpower. All those people got what they have by cheating, using the power of the state to steal it away from me. There was no element of luck in me getting what I have and collective society didn’t contribute to it at all. I formed myself out of the primeval void. Anything obstructing me from acquiring more wealth is a form of theft. My brains and willpower entitle me to everything.

7 Likes

I can’t speak for black people, but I see this all the time in young women regarding sexism. Many young women grow up thinking sexism is something their mothers already fixed and they’re bathed in progressive messaging online so that’s presumed to be the norm. It can take years and years in industry to see the patterns. Oh, that time you didn’t get that promotion, and that time the boss said that thing, and the time you were asked to take notes, and the way the UPS person always asks you to sign for things, etc, etc. Any one of these incidents can seem innocent, but over an entire adulthood, they accumulate, and you realize what systemic sexism looks like. It can be hard to see the forest for the trees, and I have often have trouble convincing some young women that sexism is real and that they are experiencing it.

I spent most of my career in video games, one of the most sexist industries on the planet. It took me until the third time that I was passed over for promotion by a younger, less educated, less experienced man that I put it together.

10 Likes

I had a hard time imagining where they were getting this message, and who was promoting it. There were many #MeToo stories about women in various industries who formed professional support groups online, and the topic of abuse came up very soon after that. It seemed odd that pay inequity and sexism wouldn’t be discussed in a similar manner. I did a quick search and found this - totally in line with what we’ve been discussing in this topic.

Even though it’s a problem in every industry, most of the stories that make the news are tech CEOs unable to explain why they have such terrible track records with diversity. Maybe it’s the recent focus on STEM. I still grab the popcorn and await the usual excuses whenever they’re confronted at conventions, during shareholders’ meetings, or by the press after performative promises like the ones made during BLM protests this summer.

6 Likes

This.
I don’t trust anyone who’s done well for themselves that is not grateful.

5 Likes

I should clarify that most of my experience in speaking to young women about this was just before the big #MeToo movement started. I think #MeToo helped a lot in this regard, as you say. At least now there are abundant easy-to-find counter-examples to the constant message they get from society that everything is fine and they’re probably imagining that harassment they felt yesterday or the day before.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.