Odd Stuff (Part 1)

2 Likes

… did the Russians lose another submarine?

1 Like

immediately made me think of that one, but it was apparently a completely different issue

2 Likes
1 Like

I learned Pascal on the university mainframe, so I definitely represent that sentiment! I sometimes wonder how different my life might have been if I’d stuck with it. I was good at it, but was nearly done with college by that time, so I didn’t pursue it. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.

6 Likes

Networked Apple IIs in high school.

ETA with a shared 20MB drive that was in a case not much smaller than the Apple cases.

5 Likes

Yes, they mention Kraftwerk and even speculate on the possibility of an obscure reference (which sounds like bollocks to me, but it is a nice touch nonetheless).

My favourite video of TEE as some of the footage is from places I know.

6 Likes

As much as I love trains, some of the long strings of letters in the descriptions made me feel a bit like I was watching home movies at a trainspotter’s house, something I was hoping never to experience again.

1 Like

I feel seen!

Also, an intriguing idea to possibly explain why (in addition to the basic fact of diversity in nature):

So why do night owls exist? There is no single universally accepted theory, but evolutionary biologists think that communities with more variation in chronotypes may have been more likely to survive. If not everyone needs to sleep at the same time, then some members of the tribe can stand guard and protect those who are resting.

A recent study of a modern-day hunter-gatherer tribe found that during a three-week period, there were only 18 minutes during which all of the 33 tribe members were asleep simultaneously.

10 Likes
1 Like

Not the Wright stuff: Bitcoin ‘inventor’ loses bid to sue YouTuber who called him a liar

A self-described “blockchain expert” claiming to be the inventor of Bitcoin has had his attempt to sue a YouTuber, who made a video rubbishing that claim, laughed out of the UK High Court.

Craig Wright, an Australian-born computer scientist and citizen of Antigua & Barbuda who lives in Surrey, in southeast England, lost a legal bid to sue one Roger Ver.

1 Like

Australia to refund $720m in ‘debts’ determined by dodgy algorithm

Australia will refund more than AU$720m (US$480M) to residents adjudged to owe the federal government a debt that did not exist.

3 Likes

There seems to have been a malfunction…

5 Likes

2pl5v1_phixr

10 Likes

Someone Replaced The Sound Effects In Star Wars With Cardi B’s Vocal Tics…

Via Digg

8 Likes

Oh no…

Old things new again…

12 Likes

happy-finn

6 Likes

What the fuck?

Why would they do this? Why?

8 Likes