Odd Stuff (Part 1)

Sun welcomes vampire dating website company: Arrgh! No! It burns! It buuuuuurrrrrnsss!

Who, Me? Monday is here and sunshine has turned to showers in the UK. Take your mind off the “shorts or umbrella” quandary with an unusual tale of vampires, dating, and recreating The Matrix in Sun Microsystems’ Chicago lobby courtesy of The Register’s Who, Me? column.

3 Likes

SAP blogger reveals top tips for keeping clients happy: Don’t swear, remember to write a pithy subject line, and TURN OFF CAPS LOCK

SAP has published a “Business trends” blog post that offers business etiquette advice so utterly obvious that a million thrice-recycled LinkedIn posts explaining how not to fail at life now seem clever by comparison.

2 Likes

I can see my house from here! Microsoft Flight Simulator has laid strong foundations for the nerdy scene’s next generation

Review Tomorrow the eagerly awaited 2020 incarnation of Microsoft Flight Simulator lands. The Register had a play with the release version and was impressed with this first draft.

Developed from the ground up by French outfit Asobo Studio, Flight Simulator is one of the most hotly anticipated titles in the genre for years – though admittedly you can count the big hitters on one hand.

2 Likes

Ed Snowden has raked in $1m+ from speeches – and Uncle Sam wants its cut, specifically, absolutely all of it

[…]

So what’s it to be Ed? A legal battle, the risk of losing it all and having to stay in Moscow; or a cut of your earnings to the reality TV show star who also happens to be president in return for freedom? You may only have three months to decide.

2 Likes

I laughed out loud when I read that, but then I read the post. Holy shit.

To be fair I understand Poe’s Law has reset my expectations for parody, but even so I was not prepared for those Olympic levels of banality. This is almost profound bullshit.

2 Likes

We’ve come to wish you an unhappy birthday: Microsoft to yank services from Internet Explorer, kill off Legacy Edge by 2021

The clock is ticking. Microsoft has warned customers its services won’t be supported on the veteran browser within the year.

2 Likes

I won’t miss IE, but I’ve grown rather fond of the non-Chromium Edge.

1 Like

Anything but Chrome has an attraction at this stage…

I’ve found Edge to be the least processor/memory intensive for some work I’ve had to do with Moodle and Zoom dashboards open.

2 Likes

It is also really great for annotating pdfs, which I do a lot. I have Acrobat DC on my machine, and it is awful by comparison.

2 Likes

Perfection.

5 Likes

I mean, to be fair, I’ve heard from colleagues of job applicants who are actually scrolling on their phones during the interview. And not in an, “oh, let me look that up real quick,” kind of way. So to you and I, the post is completely ridiculous, but maybe some people need it? Let’s just hope hearing it from Dylan will make an impact…

2 Likes
7 Likes

Not sure whether to put this here or on the food thread.

4 Likes

боооооррррщ!

Hateful Love is super weird.

They did their own kind of Eurovision thing this year, with the quarantinevideo 2020 thing on Youtube. It’s been really fun to watch.

1 Like

Their Eurovision entry should have won. They remind me of bands from the late 70s and early 80s that were willing to try stuff out just to see if it works.

1 Like

I was really aggravated about that. The only “live” aspect is the singing. All the background music, instruments, etc., are canned. I think it was… Belgium? I forget which, but last year, the drummer was so out of time it was funny.

They could have used the various videos produced of the songs and still held the contest. People could have voted remotely, even the judges. With all the world is going though, getting to watch Eurovision would have been a joy.

1 Like

I don’t normally watch (it’s too long and the voting is over too late to watch with the kids which is kind of the fun really) but you are absolutely right they should have done it in a different format.

Mind you for the participants the junket and weeks long party is a huge part of the point. My neighbour growing up won it (it’s technically a song contest, not a performance contest) and I think all he got from it was a holiday.

4 Likes

Well, I normally don’t care, but this year I was in Europe, and it is fun as an American to watch from up close the Europeans watching Eurovision.

2 Likes
8 Likes

He didn’t file his taxes even though he’s in Russia? Oooo, now he’s in real trouble! (#insert al_capone)

Whose house?

5 Likes