Odd Stuff (Part 1)

I can’t remember 50-75% of the answers to those questions.

“What was the first country you visited outside the US?”

I wonder how many times out of ten “Canada” would be the right answer? That seems like a terrible security question. I would answer “Narnia” or “Mordor” just to make it more secure.

4 Likes

13 Likes

Be sure your dog’s name is at least 14 characters long, has at least one uppercase character, one number, and one special character. No spaces or hyphens.

16 Likes

Yeah, the best policy with questions like this is to never tell the truth.

6 Likes

Ever see those Facebook/Buzzfeed/etc quizzes: “You’re superhero name is the name of your first pet, the street you grew up on, then your mothers maiden name! Post your superhero name here!”

10 Likes

I must have done that when I set up the online account for my water bill, because I can’t remember the password, and truthful answers to all the questions don’t work. Someday I will overcome my laziness and suffer phone support to reset the password…

6 Likes

Ah, I forgot to mention the spreadsheet I use to keep track of all the lies. :nerd_face: I’d offer that suggestion to the current administration, but they’d probably exceed the maximum number of rows. :thinking:

7 Likes

except then you forget the fake answer, because your only mental map of the answer is “well, I remember I was sitting at the computer…” or I do, anyway.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Well, you don’t put real answers, tho, you put fake ones and write them down somewhere secure?

2 Likes

You put in as many details you can remember about that one schoolyard bully.

1 Like

VMware staff in Silicon Valley can leave a pandemic and wildfire-ridden zone, if they’re willing to accept less pay

VMware, the cloud computing biz headquartered in Palo Alto, California, will reportedly cut salaries for employees opting to permanently work-from-home if they decide to move out of Silicon Valley.

2 Likes

Cops called to Singapore golf club after ‘wrongdoers’ use scripts to book popular timeslots

A Singapore golf club has called in the police claiming members may have broken the country’s Computer Misuse Act after using scripts to book up course slots within seconds of them becoming available.

The Singapore Island Country Club dialled 999 after declaring that its online golf session booking system had been “compromised” thanks to “millions” of online booking attempts daily, according to Channel News Asia.

Tech-savvy golfers, it appeared, were using scripts to book popular timeslots for themselves and their mates rather than filling in online forms manually whenever new slots were released.

2 Likes

Is today’s AI yesterday’s software routines with better PR? We argued over it, you voted on it. And the winner is…

Over the past few days, we pitted some of our vultures against each other, cajoled our dear readers into chiming in with your own comments, and took your votes on whose side you were on. The motion up for debate was: Artificial intelligence in the enterprise is just yesterday’s dumb algorithms rebranded as AI . There is plenty of evidence that software, equipment, and internal projects are being labeled as powered by buzzword du jour AI, and buyers are spending millions on them.

3 Likes

“I’ll start filling out the online forms manually when this country club does all its banking by physically writing checks and mailing them.”

5 Likes

“For the uninitiated, QAnon is a loosely organized movement of far-right extremists that believe President Donald Trump is leading a global fight against a covert, widespread cabal of Satan-worshipping pedophiles who secretly run the “deep state,” which is made up of Democratic Party members, various movie stars, political elites, and basically anyone that happens to be on the group’s shit list that day”

I dont think I’ve seen this defined so succinctly and eloquently before!

10 Likes

Better make sure that thing is air-gapped from the internet while it’s in use.

I guess the authorities at the golf club never used ebay. Sounds like simple, last-minutes sniping software.

1 Like
6 Likes