Odd Stuff (Part 3)

That’s quite hypnotic.

2 Likes

That video is really fucking insane.

3 Likes

Surely this makes flights even more pleasant

10 Likes

So a couple hours after I posted that tomato tweet, I saw a news story about her being attacked during a set because she voted for Biden.

https://twitter.com/Ariel_Comedy/status/1579127426986422272?s=20&t=mCSV5IP5UtAwmKZN552aDA

I can tell by the fact that you’re still talking when no one wants you to, that you voted for Trump

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

12 Likes
5 Likes

So like Facebook, gifs are cringe now, and just a boomer thing?

GIFs—particularly “reaction GIFs,” such as Michael Jackson chomping on popcorn and Mariah Carey muttering “I don’t know her”—were a lingua franca of the internet and significant enough culturally that in 2014, the Museum of the Moving Image in New York even put on an exhibit of reaction GIFs (titled “Moving Image as Gesture”). “This is the file format of the internet generation,” Tumblr’s then-head of creative strategy, David Hayes, told Mashable in 2016, while more than 23 million GIF-based posts were being uploaded to the site he worked for each day. As the GIF’s star rose, GIF-searching features were added to Facebook, Twitter, and iMessage, making it even easier to find a GIF to express whatever emotion you wanted to convey without words.

And that was the turning point. These search features surfaced the same GIFs over and over, and the popular reaction GIFs got worn into the ground. They started to look dated, corny, and cheap. “GIFs Are for Boomers Now, Sorry,” Vice’s Amelia Tait argued in January. As older adults became familiar with GIFs through the new, accessible libraries attached to essentially every app, GIFs became “embarrassing.” (Tait specifically cites the GIF of Leonardo DiCaprio raising a toast in 2013’s The Great Gatsby, and I agree—it is viscerally humiliating to be reminded of that movie.) The future is dark for GIFs, Tait suggested: “Will they soon disappear forever, like Homer Simpson backing up into a hedge?”

15 Likes

16 Likes

Red Carpet Gaby Wilson GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

11 Likes

Circa 2014, I’d guess.

9 Likes

I’d say hot takes from bougie magazines are cringe… :grimacing:

3b9d407633297edd37ca469080c9adbe9b7448ed

Nick Offerman Giggles GIF

#genx4life!!!

8 Likes

We need Uhura with a fro and leather jacket in the style of the Panthers…

11 Likes

star trek trip GIF

9 Likes

Star Trek Laughing GIF

9 Likes

get-off-my-lawn-old-lady

13 Likes

Gay Lawn Mower GIF

12 Likes

Oh sure, attack the messenger, but it’s not going anywhere!!

Cat Kitten GIF

14 Likes

Not Funny Reaction GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

8 Likes
17 Likes

No, no, hear us out, say boffins: Foot fungus to measure your walk

Four researchers at the Unconventional Computing Laboratory at the University of West England have enlisted fungi to measure how people walk.

Normally, people try to keep fungi from making a home in their shoes, and they may resort to anti-fungal sprays, ointments, or the like to keep fungi from getting the upper hand and ensuring stinky feet.

But Anna Nikolaidou, Neil Phillipsa, Michail-Antisthenis Tsompanasa, and Andrew Adamatzkya argue that fungi embedded within the insoles of shoes offer advantages over existing “smart insoles” that rely on semiconductor-based force sensitive resistors.

[…]

4 Likes

I mean, I guess it’s more environmentally friendly

1 Like