Odd Stuff (Part 3)

It’s a high level of intimacy in the relationship, when you know you can swear in front of someone. It gives the freedom to share without self-censoring.

9 Likes
6 Likes

I dimly recall some distillery or other using a gimmick like that for their marketing a couple of years ago. “Buy” 1 m2 of land from them, get the right to call yourself Laird of Whatever.

5 Likes

Laphroiag.

But it didn’t cost anything, it was just a fun promotion.

9 Likes

And the whole premise of the scam - that owning land makes you a Laird which is an equal title to “Lord” is basically just linguistic trickery. In Scots, the word means “lord” in the sense of Landlord, and isn’t a title of nobility, and calling yourself this is going to attract the same sort of response as if you started calling yourself Napoleon.

4 Likes

What makes cute marketing a scam?

2 Likes

Backstage here in the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, there is a shocked reaction after Will Smith seemingly hit Chris Rock live on stage.

At first, it seemed like a joke or some kind of set-up.

Chris Rock was presenting a category and made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith, Will’s wife.

“Jada, I love you, G.I. Jane 2, I can’t wait to see it.”

By the look on her face, she did not appreciate the joke about her appearance.

Will Smith seemed to laugh at first, but he then rapidly got up out of his seat and whacked Rock on the face, or so it looked like.

At this point, everyone still thought it was some kind of joke, but now doubt was starting to creep in.

“Wow, Will Smith just slapped the [hell] out of me,” Rock said.

Smith, now sitting back in his seat and visibly angry, then shouted: “Keep my wife’s name out your [expletive] mouth.”

Still recovering from the punch and looking a bit bewildered, Rock started to defend himself. “Wow dude, it was a G.I. Jane joke.”

Smith then shouted a second time. “Keep my wife’s name out your [expletive] mouth.”

“I’m going to,” Rock replied, now looking genuinely shaken.

Viewers at home didn’t hear the latter parts of this exchange, as broadcast network ABC cut the sound. Here in the press room though, we heard the full thing on an unedited live feed.

It was clear by the end that this was not a joke. Smith would know better than to drop the F-word on live TV, and Chris Rock was clearly stunned.

Attempting to make light of the situation and realising he’d just made Oscars history, Rock then said: “That was the greatest night in the history of television.”

Some background: This is not the first time that Rock has poked fun at Jada Pinkett Smith.

When he hosted the ceremony in 2016, he said Jada boycotting the ceremony over Oscars So White was pointless, because she wasn’t invited to the Academy Awards anyway.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/entertainment-arts-60838175?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=624120511fea84616a6cd054%26Will%20Smith%20punches%20Chris%20Rock%20on%20stage%262022-03-28T02%3A52%3A13.683Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:1b365fab-006c-4eb4-af01-61bbd37acc12&pinned_post_asset_id=624120511fea84616a6cd054&pinned_post_type=share

7 Likes

His joke referred to 1997 film GI Jane, in which Demi Moore played the title role with a buzzcut.

Pinkett Smith opened up about her struggle with hair loss in an episode of her Facebook chat show, Red Table Talk, back in 2018.

She said: “I’ve been having issues with hair loss. And it was terrifying when it first started.”

The Girls Trip star said she first suspected she had alopecia after “handfuls of hair” came loose in the shower.

“I was just like, ‘Oh my God, am I going bald?’ It was one of those times in my life where I was literally shaking with fear,” she explained. “That’s why I cut my hair and continue to cut it.”

3 Likes

Okay, a shitty thing for Rock to joke about, but maybe Smith should’ve waited until afterward to deliver his slapdown?

Ah well, all three will both be big news again for a couple of days, i guess that’s cool. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Laughing one minute, crying the next? As a former bar manager, i would have been cutting Will Smith off.

4 Likes

Unthreaded Cory D Tweets on how hard it is to get from Amazon the personal info it has on you.

Also a good reminder that another reason it’s such a rich company is because it sells your data to other ones.

https://pluralistic.net/2022/03/27/beware-of-the-leopard/#relentless

10 Likes

People can’t complain about appropriation if you never tell anyone what you have.

1622140787_57182

12 Likes

13 Likes

An Animal Farm reboot…

5 Likes

Some lights from another time…

11 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes
12 Likes

meh mr universe GIF

render john carpenter GIF by xponentialdesign

12 Likes

It’s kinda silly humor, but yeah, I laughed.

15 Likes