Odd Stuff (Part 3)

5 Likes

See, this is what makes me avoid their email, browser/apps, and store. If they’ve got my phone’s info after all that, and can trace it back to me…

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

1 Like

I decided a long time ago there wasn’t any way for me, personally, to do without tech. So I chose one company for my inevitable corporate overlord and have stuck to that eco system. Someone is going to have my data and at least this way I know who to sue

2 Likes
10 Likes

The sole of that boot heel is just going to fall off when they walk on it, and then where will they be when they lose their money?

8 Likes

That was exactly I was thinking. A lot of these lifehacker videos are just stupid.

7 Likes

This is the only life hack I ever found useful:

When cutting a bagel stick your finger in the stabilization hole to keep it steady.

17 Likes

You know, maybe they could stick a few $100 bills in there before they sew the finger back on. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes
9 Likes

Circa 1912

15 Likes

Neglected bowels remain a problem 110 years later

ETA: DAMMIT! “I am become Death, neglector of bowels” was right there

14 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

That piece spends an oddly long time talking about speakers before getting to micrphones.

Anyway, it did make me wonder if the wireless speaker in my bedroom has a microphone. Eep!

Also reminds me of how I’ve been trying to train myself to remember that most of the time when I’m outdoors, I may well be on camera.

5 Likes

like the man says, if it vibrates, it can be a mic.

the old DJ’s trick is to unplug your headphones from the headphone jack and then plug them into the microphone jack and speak into the left earphone. viola, your earphone (i.e. a speaker) is now a microphone.

the Soviets pointed a laser at the window of rooms where privileged conversations were held, measured the slight movements of the glass and amplified them through a speaker. windowpane=microphone.

knowing this, I still never gave any thought to my portable Bluetooth speaker until reading your link. I guess fortunately for me, I use a wired, non-bluetooth connection on my non-bluetooth-enabled “clip” style mp3 player instead of my phone; though I have connected it to my phone to test it out. supposedly I have to manually turn on the Bluetooth on the speaker but hey, never say never. JBL could be connecting to the mothership without me knowing and selling my transcribed convos to advertisers. I have an app on my smartphone that supposedly controls the mic and kills it unless I’m using the phone, but I have absolutely no idea if it actually does it other than that app dev’s word.

more fun in the new world.

5 Likes
2 Likes

No one toad him that was bad and he croaked. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

my little pony rimshot GIF

5 Likes