Odd Stuff (Part 4)

3d771fb5-6053-4b61-b583-9804f117a5b3_text

12 Likes

Some of those squares look a bit evergreen.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Say what?

The plane lost more than half its altitude and came within 775 feet of sea level, according to the data from FlightRadar24. The plane gained speed as it dropped 1,425 feet from 2,200 feet before regaining its climb out of Kahului on the island of Maui.

The data suggest the remainder of the flight was uneventful.

United said it conducted an investigation with the FAA and the pilots union “that ultimately resulted in the pilots receiving additional training,” adding the investigation is ongoing.

Training: “Hey, don’t drop altitude like that.”

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/united-777-plunge-takeoff-hawaii/index.html

12 Likes

and decided to blame the pilots. Standard operating procedure for the FAA. It can’t be a corporation’s fault!

12 Likes
9 Likes
4 Likes
13 Likes

this mall ninja

10 Likes

I think this is poor paraphrasing by CNN. The specifics of the event would be added to the training for all pilots, not just the pilots flying, more in a “lessons learned” sense. Outright blaming pilots discourages the voluntary reporting system that airlines have in place, which is really the only reason we have this report at all. There was no damage and no injuries so there is no NTSB report.

Based on data available this was probably a severe downdraft. There were storm clouds in the area and the incident happened when the aircraft entered the cloud layer. Airliners like the 777 have a weather radar that can detect downdrafts but it can be masked by dense rainclouds. If the downdraft is behind a cloud then it may not be obvious on radar, and the pilots would be busy performing their post-takeoff checklist and talking to the tower further distracting them from the radar

8 Likes
10 Likes

20 Likes

196d9bbfc46cf84e2e4ff57f8364e435

15 Likes
5 Likes
10 Likes

That sounds like black magic.

I didn’t say I don’t still like it.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Now this is going to make for a few interesting fourth wall breaks