Odd Stuff (Part 5)

butter GIF

7 Likes

16 Likes

11 Likes

I didn’t get to see it before they took it down. Pity.

Her brother john said

“It looked nothing like her and I thought it was hideous” . He added that the figure looked “between a mannequin and something out of the Thunderbirds”.

12 Likes

Yeah, well, nothing compares to her.

20 Likes
11 Likes

I mean, I don’t necessarily get it, but they aren’t hurting anybody and many that I’ve interacted with are perfectly lovely people, so who am I to question?

Why people like lash out against subcultures they don’t like or understand just seems like such a waste of time and energy. Why not put that energy into something you enjoy instead rather than shitting on something you don’t.

13 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Some people would rather spend their time nihilistic tearing others down rather than doing something positive. It explains why Trump still holds some appeal

It’s a good article and the author apparently has a podcast about the subculture.

This line kind of sums it up, I think

As the fandom grew in the early 2000s, it made enemies. The ingrained niceness, the thing that makes furries so endearing to me, infuriated the more unpleasant internet communities – people for whom earnestness is the most mortal of sins – and made them a target.

My emphasis

And this

“I have never delved into the psychology of the bully,” Conway says when I ask what he thinks is behind the abuse and driving trollies furries receive. “Other people with much broader degrees than mine no doubt have. But these groups tend to hate, or at least outwardly hate, the innocence. The love of life. The playfulness. Why? Is it because they can’t have it, and long for it, and thus decry it when they find it?”
“If that’s the case”, he adds, “that is heart-wrenching – that these folks could be so incredibly miserable that the only way they can be happy is to try to tear somebody else’s happiness down. What I have to say to them is: throw the edgelord thing aside for a while and come down and join us. Because we’re not going to turn you away at the door. We’ll let you see what we’re about.”

17 Likes

24 Likes
11 Likes

This is just the last leg of the journey; last year the boat was hauled from Kiel (Baltic Sea) through the Kiel Canal into the North Sea, to the Netherlands, and then up the Rhine to Speyer.
It’s in a rig that can rotate it 73° sideways. That way the top of the sail is level with the hull. Needed to cross under low bridges. (Eat your heart out, Norfolk Southern–Gregson Street Overpass!) Amazing logistics, all in all. Lots of interesting pictures in the link below.

Onebox is in German, but link leads to the English site:

21 Likes

Nick Offerman Smile GIF

15 Likes

It’s no U-505, but still pretty big! Probably wouldn’t feel so large after a few weeks or months at sea, though.

10 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

To be clear, this U-17 is a post-war sub and not a nazi-era U boat.

Buried a bit at U-Boot U17 | Technik Museen Sinsheim Speyer :

What are the key data of the U17 submarine?

• Order: June 1969
  • Keel laid: 1 June 1970
  • Launching: 10 October 1972
  • Commissioned: 28 November 1973
  • Decommissioned: 14 December 2010 decommissioned in Eckernförde
  • Over 37 years in service with the German Navy and the German Navy
  • Distance travelled: 201,152 nm (= 372,533.504 km), of which 80,105 nm (148,354.46 km) were submerged

It is weird there is little about its role, service and why creating a museum display out of it is significant. It is all about the technical details and celebrations but with no context. Yes, so certainly qualifies as “odd stuff”!

3 Likes

‘just rotate it 73 deg. sideways’ needs to go on the 11’8" bridge bingo card.

18 Likes

Paging @wazroth 

6 Likes

Sounds like after it rotates it’ll still be about 4.6m high – if we make some assumptions that after rotating it’s as high as it was wide. This probably isn’t quite accurate but I’m not sure it’s possible for it to be any less than this high when rotated.

In any case, 4.6m is still 15’ 2". This thing ain’t fitting under the Gregson St. rail bridge any which way you spin it.

11 Likes

Well, if the 11’8"+8" bridge taught us anything, sometimes you should ignore all the warnings and just go for it!

8 Likes